Walk Me Through the Best Way

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Walk Me Through the Best Way

Post by lucas » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:30 pm

It sounds like you're getting plenty of signal for adding FX to.
you might try finding a clean transparent amp in gearbox or POD Farm if all you want is a clean straight guitar signal.
you're probably better off aiming for -6 or so as your peak instead of trying to hit 0.
unlike analog, you want some headroom to avoid clipping.
Tony Jack wrote:yeah I wasn't using the POD Farm plugin just using the UX2 as an interface....So without PF2 I get a low signal and there's nothing I can do?....again disappointing
are you going straight out of your guitar into the UX2 and recording the signal unprocessed by any Line 6 modeling software?
I'm a little confused, it sounds like you're using your UX2 simply as a USB direct box for you computer.
The UX2 is overkill for that, most it's benefits come from using Gearbox, POD Farm or the POD Farm plugin.
if it is what you're doing, all I can suggest right now is you might get a couple of 1/4" to XLR direct boxes to allow you to connect to the UX2's mic inputs.
or you might pick up a Presonus TubePRE
http://www.zzounds.com/item--PRSTUBEPRE
These can be found in good used condition for around $50 on ebay or Craigslist
or an ART TUBE MP
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=180581

both of these can be used as D.I. box to use the XLR inputs as well to bring the signal level up if needed.
Tony Jack wrote:So is the PAD input no good for a electric guitar?.....Is it just for bass or something?
guitars/basses with active electronics, etc.
instruments with a more powerful output than 'normal'
Tony Jack wrote:I noticed that quite a few of the PF2 presets caused quite a loud feedback/humming sorta noise without even having the electric plugged in just a preset loaded on the track.....I know there is a gate but I never really get much success with gates they seem to block too little or block too much
I just got done shielding my guitars and now the gates on the presets I use work pretty well. :D
0 x

Other Tony
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Other Tony » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:45 am

Hi Lucas, sorry for late reply....first time I've logged in for a while.....Yeah I was hoping to use the UX2 sometimes purely as a recording interface...I may not always want to use PF2....I still haven't had time to check out the tones so maybe I'll really like them and use them more than I thought.

I like the look of that ART Tube pre amp...I'll google for some more info on them :^:

I would love to get my Strat shielded I've watched some tutorials on youtube, it really helps with guitar hum :yes:
0 x
Please be 100% honest when reviewing my songs and don't worry about offending me!

My Songs on Youtube

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:47 am

Tony Jack wrote:Yeah I was hoping to use the UX2 sometimes purely as a recording interface...I may not always want to use PF2....I still haven't had time to check out the tones so maybe I'll really like them and use them more than I thought.
I was doing that with vocals and getting plenty of signal without using any of the line 6 software (including the plugin).
I'm currently using a Presonus TubePre and Comp16 in line before the UX2, so the UX2 is just an interface for vocals right now.
I'm doing this the base reference point before I start messing with the Line 6 vocal presets.
for guitars, I always use the line 6 software (mostly the plugin).
It has some great sounds to begin with, but you'll probably need to set up some custom presets to get the sounds you want.
Defintely, worth the time.
for bass, i seem to alternate between using a line 6 preset and just using an EQ and compressor VST to process the signal.
Tony Jack wrote:I like the look of that ART Tube pre amp...I'll google for some more info on them :^:
I got mine years ago with a n MXL 1006 mic for $100 both, new.
used it for vocals and bass with MRS-8, since that unit didn't have phantom power.
a lot people recommend replacing the tube for better one, but I've never had any issues with the stock one.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:01 am

Tony Jack wrote:I would love to get my Strat shielded I've watched some tutorials on youtube, it really helps with guitar hum :yes:
it's fairly easy if you have no issues about pulling the electronics out.
plan it out, go slow and be careful.
I bought the DiMarzio Copper Shielding tape from http://www.Musiciansfriend.com.
3 packs was enough to do my bass, my strat and my tele.
I used 3M Super 77 spray glue and Reynolds wrap to shield the pickguards on all 3 guitars.
I still get some buzz if my guitar in right position, but it's significantly reduced and the noise gate works very well now.

the other thing I use for hum & buzz is use the 'Hum Reducer' in Gearbox.
It works pretty well, but is only available when Gearbox open.

here are some pics:

Image . Image . Image

Image . Image . Image
0 x

Other Tony
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Other Tony » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:12 am

Great pics mate, thanks for the tips :^:
0 x
Please be 100% honest when reviewing my songs and don't worry about offending me!

My Songs on Youtube

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:16 pm

The P-Bass was noisy? I remember doin' this type of thing back in da day. Now all my instruments are well made and really don't give me the dreaded "60 cycle". Wasn't taking off the bridges a bit drastic? I know, the ground. :roll:
:look:
Anyway.........
Yeah, the hum reducer works well. Each instrument is a bit different so you have to relearn each one.
You should have gotten a pdf manual with dat box, TJ. Half the fun of new stuff is reading da manual! :yes:
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:41 am

Sungodv wrote:The P-Bass was noisy? I remember doin' this type of thing back in da day. Now all my instruments are well made and really don't give me the dreaded "60 cycle". Wasn't taking off the bridges a bit drastic? I know, the ground. :roll:
unfortunately, you have to remove all the wiring to do this properly.
Yeah, had some noise if I wasn't pointing it in the right direction, not nearly as bad as the guitars though.
The main reason I did the bass was to get rid if the intermittent crackle that would happen when my finger touched the pickguard while playing.

except for my Fender Roseburst Tele, all my guitars are from the Squier Affinity series.
I had a Fender standard strat at one point, but it was the 'good' guitar and so it just sat in the case in the closet.
I finally just sold it because I never played it and I needed the money.
The Squiers are surprisingly well made for what they cost new and you get used ones in excellent condition for $100 or less.
all of mine have upgraded pickups, electronics and saddles.
Sungodv wrote:Yeah, the hum reducer works well. Each instrument is a bit different so you have to relearn each one.
He's not using Gearbox and I don't see the hum reducer in POD Farm at all.
I suspect it's missing in PF2 as well.

I also wish they would have included the tuner in the VST plugin.
I just don't understand why it's not there.
0 x