Gearbox vs PF2 resource hog?

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
mikemorgan
been here a while
been here a while

Gearbox vs PF2 resource hog?

Post by mikemorgan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:47 am

Like some of you, I gravitate toward using Gearbox over PodFarm for various GUI reasons.
But I recently discovered that my Gearbox standalone software pegs my laptop's P4 2.8 processor at a very constant 100%, while PodFarm2 standalone runs at a typical 20-25%.

I suspected Gearbox of trying to connect to the internet or running some other sub-program. I disabled all internet in Gearbox software and of course disabled onboard WiFi. No change at all, still slammed at 100% cpu usage. This makes my laptop fans run full speed and cpu is still way too warm.

I'm starting to dig PodFarm2, and I really like the midi access (that's why I upgraded), but why does Gearbox peg my cpu? Is the code just that much better?

And another topic......with all the midi access PodFarm 2 allows, has anyone figured out how to change (or jump to) patches within the "setlist"?
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gearbox vs PF2 resource hog?

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:01 am

I've never had that problem with Gearbox, but I use PodFarm these days anyway, despite it's somewhat annoying interface. Perhaps reinstall Gearbox?
0 x

mikemorgan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by mikemorgan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:41 am

That's a good idea, thanks.

I already figured out the setlist/program change task too!
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:47 pm

On my Quad (without HT/Virtualization) GB up's the processor percentage about 9 percent. I don't have PF installed as I didn't really like it / use it on my last machine so I can't check the difference.
This may be God's way of saying get a new PC. Or at least reload the OS from scratch if it's over two years old and max the memory if possible. Did I mention a fast RPM large cache hard drive?
:whistle:
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

minerman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by minerman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:15 am

+1 to SunnyG.....
You really need to listen to Sungod, MikeMorgan, he knows a lot about PC's, DAW's, etc. I checked my quad core & the processor percentage runs about the same on mine (Gearbox). In Reaper, (I use the POD Farm 1/2 vst), POD Farm uses about 2-2.5% on average (the more effects I load, the more resources it uses....). Might wanna follow Sun's advice on the PC......Hope this helps!!!!
0 x
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Oscar Schmidt, Carlo Robelli
EVH LBX 15w, EVH 4x12, Marshall 1960A
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro 'phones
NI Komplete Audio 6, Alesis Q25, M-Audio BX8
Shure, Sennheiser, Audix, Samson, Behringer & Carvin mics
Dell Desktop: Intel Quad Core i7-4790, 16GB RAM, Windows 7

My Music

@ Soundclick
@ Reverbnation
@ Bandcamp

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:34 pm

Don't listen to that minerman guy........or me.
Polly is the one to go to for tech-no-lol-o-gee! :yes:

:hilarious:

:stick:

:noway:

:P

:whistle:

:heart: ya, JP.
Last edited by Sungodv on Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

minerman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by minerman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:13 pm

If you like POD Farm 2 better, why not just use it? I like it much more than POD Farm 1, & now even Gearbox (most of my songs' guitar/bass tracks were done with Gearbox), but I use the vst instead of the stand-alone (if i need to tweak, I can do so,without having to re-track a part).

Don't let Sungod fool ya, he really knows his way around a PC. I knew very little about 'em before he "coached" me about PC's, DAW's & such....

Glad you got the MIDI thing figured out btw....
0 x

My Music

@ Soundclick
@ Reverbnation
@ Bandcamp

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:19 am

I think Elvis has left the building....... :look:
0 x
My Songs

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:06 pm

Thank ya, thank ya very much....
Seems PF does use a bit less CPU cycles when idle, but I'll still take GB unless I want dual tone.
0 x
My Songs

mikemorgan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by mikemorgan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:10 am

I know it's a really old post.

There is indeed a flaw in the latest versions of PF. The flaw makes my cpu run at 100% of my laptop, constant draw.
The fix (for me at least) is to fire up the monkey as if checking for updates. Close the monkey asap and cpu drops to a respectable 10-12%. Line6 doesn't know why, but did suggest this after other users noticed the pattern.
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:45 am

Man, you just can't catch a break! PF 1.12 still runs, for me, at about 6% max (on a Quad) vs. 12% for GB 3.72. The monkey shows I have the latest versions too.
0 x
My Songs

mikemorgan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by mikemorgan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:18 pm

I guess that's beacause you're not using PF2.
0 x

minerman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by minerman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:32 pm

I use POD Farm 2 (& the "Elements" plugs from Line 6, PF 2 "Platinum"....), & I can use multiple instances of the "whole" plug (entire POD Farm 2 mixer/gui).....One instance usually never goes over 2-2.5% CPU for me......BUT, I do know the more effects you use in PF, the more of a hit on the CPU......

Using:
Gateway DX 4300-15e, AMD Phenom x4, 8GB RAM, Windows 7
Reaper 3.75 (x32)
Tascam US-122 L USB interface

Hope you get it sorted.....
0 x

My Music

@ Soundclick
@ Reverbnation
@ Bandcamp

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:42 am

mikemorgan wrote:I guess that's beacause you're not using PF2.
I think a few of us thought you were using the stand alone version instead of the VST.
Carry on.
0 x
My Songs