Gearbox vs PF2 resource hog?

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
mikemorgan
been here a while
been here a while

Gearbox vs PF2 resource hog?

Post by mikemorgan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:47 am

Like some of you, I gravitate toward using Gearbox over PodFarm for various GUI reasons.
But I recently discovered that my Gearbox standalone software pegs my laptop's P4 2.8 processor at a very constant 100%, while PodFarm2 standalone runs at a typical 20-25%.

I suspected Gearbox of trying to connect to the internet or running some other sub-program. I disabled all internet in Gearbox software and of course disabled onboard WiFi. No change at all, still slammed at 100% cpu usage. This makes my laptop fans run full speed and cpu is still way too warm.

I'm starting to dig PodFarm2, and I really like the midi access (that's why I upgraded), but why does Gearbox peg my cpu? Is the code just that much better?

And another topic......with all the midi access PodFarm 2 allows, has anyone figured out how to change (or jump to) patches within the "setlist"?

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gearbox vs PF2 resource hog?

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:01 am

I've never had that problem with Gearbox, but I use PodFarm these days anyway, despite it's somewhat annoying interface. Perhaps reinstall Gearbox?

mikemorgan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by mikemorgan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:41 am

That's a good idea, thanks.

I already figured out the setlist/program change task too!

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:47 pm

On my Quad (without HT/Virtualization) GB up's the processor percentage about 9 percent. I don't have PF installed as I didn't really like it / use it on my last machine so I can't check the difference.
This may be God's way of saying get a new PC. Or at least reload the OS from scratch if it's over two years old and max the memory if possible. Did I mention a fast RPM large cache hard drive?
:whistle:
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

minerman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by minerman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:15 am

+1 to SunnyG.....
You really need to listen to Sungod, MikeMorgan, he knows a lot about PC's, DAW's, etc. I checked my quad core & the processor percentage runs about the same on mine (Gearbox). In Reaper, (I use the POD Farm 1/2 vst), POD Farm uses about 2-2.5% on average (the more effects I load, the more resources it uses....). Might wanna follow Sun's advice on the PC......Hope this helps!!!!
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Oscar Schmidt, Carlo Robelli
EVH LBX 15w, EVH 4x12, Marshall 1960A
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro 'phones
NI Komplete Audio 6, Alesis Q25, M-Audio BX8
Shure, Sennheiser, Audix, Samson, Behringer & Carvin mics
Dell Desktop: Intel Quad Core i7-4790, 16GB RAM, Windows 7

My Music

@ Soundclick
@ Reverbnation
@ Bandcamp

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:34 pm

Don't listen to that minerman guy........or me.
Polly is the one to go to for tech-no-lol-o-gee! :yes:

:hilarious:

:stick:

:noway:

:P

:whistle:

:heart: ya, JP.
Last edited by Sungodv on Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

minerman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by minerman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:13 pm

If you like POD Farm 2 better, why not just use it? I like it much more than POD Farm 1, & now even Gearbox (most of my songs' guitar/bass tracks were done with Gearbox), but I use the vst instead of the stand-alone (if i need to tweak, I can do so,without having to re-track a part).

Don't let Sungod fool ya, he really knows his way around a PC. I knew very little about 'em before he "coached" me about PC's, DAW's & such....

Glad you got the MIDI thing figured out btw....

My Music

@ Soundclick
@ Reverbnation
@ Bandcamp

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:19 am

I think Elvis has left the building....... :look:
My Songs

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:06 pm

Thank ya, thank ya very much....
Seems PF does use a bit less CPU cycles when idle, but I'll still take GB unless I want dual tone.
My Songs

mikemorgan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by mikemorgan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:10 am

I know it's a really old post.

There is indeed a flaw in the latest versions of PF. The flaw makes my cpu run at 100% of my laptop, constant draw.
The fix (for me at least) is to fire up the monkey as if checking for updates. Close the monkey asap and cpu drops to a respectable 10-12%. Line6 doesn't know why, but did suggest this after other users noticed the pattern.

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:45 am

Man, you just can't catch a break! PF 1.12 still runs, for me, at about 6% max (on a Quad) vs. 12% for GB 3.72. The monkey shows I have the latest versions too.
My Songs

mikemorgan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by mikemorgan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:18 pm

I guess that's beacause you're not using PF2.

minerman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by minerman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:32 pm

I use POD Farm 2 (& the "Elements" plugs from Line 6, PF 2 "Platinum"....), & I can use multiple instances of the "whole" plug (entire POD Farm 2 mixer/gui).....One instance usually never goes over 2-2.5% CPU for me......BUT, I do know the more effects you use in PF, the more of a hit on the CPU......

Using:
Gateway DX 4300-15e, AMD Phenom x4, 8GB RAM, Windows 7
Reaper 3.75 (x32)
Tascam US-122 L USB interface

Hope you get it sorted.....

My Music

@ Soundclick
@ Reverbnation
@ Bandcamp

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:42 am

mikemorgan wrote:I guess that's beacause you're not using PF2.
I think a few of us thought you were using the stand alone version instead of the VST.
Carry on.
My Songs