Very Disturbing Situation!

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
voclizr
The Force
The Force

Very Disturbing Situation!

Post by voclizr » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:08 am

I was test recording with my new laptop and Pod Studio UX2 yesterday. I don't know what happened, but I remember I was struggling with a memory issue (Quite Legion with these damned PCs no matter how much resources you have. It never seems to be enough! :evil: ). Sometimes as I was recording, I'd hear a crackling sound and after I came out of the recording process a dialogue box in red letters said that there were errors in the recording, but that wasn't the worst part. At one point, the machine crashed and upon restarting, informed me that my copy of Windows 7 was not legitimate!!! :evil: It ran, and allowed me to back up my work, but told me I could not update anything until I bought another (legit) copy of Windows!

I called Compaq tech support and what it came down to was that I had to run full recovery, which meant I had to reconfigure every program I've installed and set up in the last two weeks. Took me almost 6 hours! I hope this doesn't happen anymore with this! Anybody else experience this kind of thing?

:) JB
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio (RIP), Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Cale
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: Very Disturbing Situation!

Post by Cale » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:07 am

I have to say that as far as PCs go I simply gave up as there was just so many software issues, Microsoft seems to have LOTS, I have ditched Cubase and after using Logic Express on the Mac I soon went back to my Zoom H4n, lined into my NEW Roland BR900 desk, it's a zillion times more user friendly, some folk swear by the PC but I'm not one, now I'm no longer having to deal with Error messages, crashes and a host of other PC gremlins................hope you have more fortune and we wish you well mate.......
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:09 pm

voclizr wrote:I was struggling with a memory issue
if you have 4GB of RAM, memory shouldn't be an issue, if you have less you should upgrade to at least 4GB
voclizr wrote:Sometimes as I was recording, I'd hear a crackling sound
this is usually a latency issue, CPU issue, hard drive issue or just a bad plugin or two.
latency can usually be tweaked in the ASIO settings for the UX2 in PODFarm or Gearbox.
The DAW usually has access to these settings as well.
CPU/hard drive issues can be usually be resolved by printing the the track to another track along with the FX, use the printed track for playback and turn off all VST for the track it was printed from.
you can check for a bad plugin by turning them on or off one by one until the issue re-appears, goes away or the CPU load gets a noticeable change.
voclizr wrote:At one point, the machine crashed and upon restarting, informed me that my copy of Windows 7 was not legitimate!!!
I believe it does this if you've lost or corrupted the 'Activation' for Win 7.
it says your your copy is not legit, but you usually just need to activate again to make it legit.
since your laptop is from a major manufacturer, it was probably activated at the factory and the recovery process puts an already activated copy back on the system.
This is how Dell does it, IBM used to do it with their laptops and my Acer has you make a set of recovery discs that can be tweaked with your user settings.
I haven't dealt with an HP/Compaq unit since Windows 2000, so I'm not familiar with their set up or recovery process.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:00 pm

Just for a frame of reference PC's in general work well. I am still running a 4 year old low powered laptop with 1GB of memory, using UX2 and it all works smoothly with many tracks running.

Doesn't sound like your issue but if you record with effects turned on in your DAW track you get crackling.
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:36 pm

Thanks for the tips, guys. I think I have a handle on the situation. :? Welcome, Cale! :D
I wasn't prepared to deal with such things as latency. I've heard of the issue and have even dealt with it to a degree with MIDI files, but it's weird when you sing into a mic with headphones on and you hear your voice delayed. Kinda throws your timing off. I was making that test recording with buffers set at 128 and three VST effects running. Lucas and Tony have good suggestions which I'll try. After I rebuilt my system I did a re record with only one VST (reverb) and the buffer set at 512. There was a bit of delay, but it wasn't real noticeable on the playback. Also, I didn't use Gear Box or Pod Farm. I just went straight into Samplitude. I'll figure this this thing out eventually. It's just a new adventure and learning curve.

8) JB

PS; Does anybody know how to disable the wallpaper feature in Windows 7? It doesn't work the same as the other OSes. :?
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:57 am

voclizr wrote:Does anybody know how to disable the wallpaper feature in Windows 7? It doesn't work the same as the other OSes
right click on the desktop and select 'Personalize' at the bottom of the pop-up menu.
then click on 'Desktop Background' located under the theme box.
at the top of the Desktop Background window is drop-down menu, click on it and select 'Solid Colors' at the bottom.

Check google.com for win 7 performance tweaks (in your case, ignore anything that makes you turn off services or hack the registry for now).
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:35 pm

Thanks! That'll free up some memory too.
:D JB
0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp