Pod Studio Concerns

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
voclizr
The Force
The Force

Pod Studio Concerns

Post by voclizr » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:22 pm

Since the Pod Studio is plugged into a USB port I'm concerned that I don't see a "Safe To Remove Device"
icon. The only way, then, is to just unplug it, it seems. Is this safe for the PC and the Pod Studio? Or is there a different and better way that I don't know about?

Also-Sometimes when I plug the Pod Studio into my laptop, it seems to take an awful long time to find the driver. I find myself having to unplug and replug several times before it finally lights up. This doesn't happen every time. Is this unusual? It always does eventually come on, but could there be a problem or a better way?

My routine is to plug in the PS before I start the recording app, then start the app, go in and change the drivers from ASIO4All to ASIOUX2. Then I have to remember before I turn off the app to change the drivers back to ASIO4ALL or I get errors when I restart the app. Is this the correct and safe way to do this?

Thanks for your help.

:D JB
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

minerman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Pod Studio Concerns

Post by minerman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:12 pm

I recently read a thread almost identical to this in another forum, & from what I gathered (don't take this as the "gospel" though....), it should be ok just to unplug your interface, since it doesn't store anything (files, tracks, etc.). I read that if you have an external drive, or anything you save files to, never, never just unplug it, always follow the "procedure".....

Dunno about selecting the ASIO drivers though, maybe someone else can/will chime in on this, on my system Reaper & my Line 6/Tascam interfaces just "work", with no problems. Hope you get it sorted.....
0 x
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Oscar Schmidt, Carlo Robelli
EVH LBX 15w, EVH 4x12, Marshall 1960A
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro 'phones
NI Komplete Audio 6, Alesis Q25, M-Audio BX8
Shure, Sennheiser, Audix, Samson, Behringer & Carvin mics
Dell Desktop: Intel Quad Core i7-4790, 16GB RAM, Windows 7

My Music

@ Soundclick
@ Reverbnation
@ Bandcamp

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:55 pm

Yeah, I use a Desktop so I can't speak to any of this....
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:19 pm

voclizr wrote:Also-Sometimes when I plug the Pod Studio into my laptop, it seems to take an awful long time to find the driver. I find myself having to unplug and replug several times before it finally lights up. This doesn't happen every time. Is this unusual? It always does eventually come on, but could there be a problem or a better way?
you might try
- other USB ports.
- different USB cable
- a USB add-on card (PCMCIA, PCCard or Expresscard depending what you laptop takes.
I think Sungodv recommended add-on card with an NEC chip to another member with a toneport awhile back.
you might search through the Line6 section here and and see what the result was.
I want to say it was RonEQ, but that's probably not correct.
voclizr wrote:Then I have to remember before I turn off the app to change the drivers back to ASIO4ALL or I get errors when I restart the app.
I had the same issue with Reaper if the UX2 is not plugged in.
I seem to recall just going in & changing the settings without needing to restart the app.
But that's Reaper... :)
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:45 pm

Yeah it was Ron, but it was for the noise issue some people get. Maybe Tony will pop in here with his 'opinion'. :lol:
He uses a laptop with the UX2.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:15 pm

It says in the instructions not to use a hub, but only plug into a USB port directly connected to the motherboard. It's hard to distinguish between the two, but there's one on the left side (which is the one I use) and two on the right side. Most times it lights right up but the other night it seemed to take awhile. The clipping lights were flashing back & forth. They do that right away, but it's not ready till the VUs light up.

:D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:59 am

voclizr wrote:It says in the instructions not to use a hub, but only plug into a USB port directly connected to the motherboard. It's hard to distinguish between the two, but there's one on the left side (which is the one I use) and two on the right side.
Hubs are not usually built into the laptop, they are something you attache to a USB port on your computer and then use to connect more than one device with.

The ports on your laptop are probably all directly connected to it's motherboard.
one set of ports may be high speed ports for say Data transfer from hard drives, thumb drives, etc.
the other may be slower USB 1.0 port rated ports for connecting a mouse, keyboard or other low speed device.

I mentioned getting an add-on card because, as with RonEQ's noise issue, you may have an incompatible or problematic USB controller on your motherboard.
if the issue continues to pop up on a regular basis, first try using the other ports for awhile and/or get a good USB cable before buying anything.
0 x

ron-e-g
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by ron-e-g » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:11 am

Yea John, my problem was sound. In 24 bit mode things were very un-cool. But Steve's suggestion to add the PCMCIA card did the trick. I can't comment on the disconnect issue as I leave mine connected.
0 x
Ronny

"The older I get, the better I was"

Songs by Ron-e-g

Zoom MRS 1608, Mixcraft 5, Reaper, Steven Slate Drums, EZ-Drummer, Superior Drums, EZKeys, Art Tube Amp,T-Racks, Line 6 Tone Port Ux2, Pod Farm, Gearbox, Guitar Rig 4/5 Pro, Rode NT1-A Mic, i7 950, 24GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, OCZ 120GB SSD, 1 TB second & 3 TB External, 2- 23" AOC displays, Behringer 3031A 8" Truth Monitors, Fender Strat, Schecter C1 Classic, Micheal Kelly Hybrid, Ovation Celebrity Deluxe, Takamine 332-C And Me!

Other Tony
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Other Tony » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:22 pm

I realise this is an old post but I just wanted to say:

I use UX2 on laptop and I NEVER get the 'safe to remove icon'.....I do with all my usb drives/external drives etc but never with the UX2....a couple of times when I've unplugged it I get the 'Blue Screen of Death'...quite scary :shock:

So now I just shutdown my laptop and then disconnect the UX2....bit of a pain if you intend to stay on the laptop but not use the UX2, but it's better than the Blue screen of Death :lol:
0 x
Please be 100% honest when reviewing my songs and don't worry about offending me!

My Songs on Youtube