UX2 Latency..or not?

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
surfercook
The Force
The Force

UX2 Latency..or not?

Post by surfercook » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:59 am

I got Farm to run as VST. But there seems to be an odd delay kinda sound. Not sure if it's latency or not. It sounds/works fine in stand-alone.
So I practiced and REC this using stand-alone. Was good fun just the same. Been having quite a bit of fun learning the UX2 while practicing out of a Jazz Book for Hendrix compositions that has jam tracks included w/it.
Castles In The Sand
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Re: UX2 Latency..or not?

Post by voclizr » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:38 pm

Yeah, latency CAN be a problem with those if your PC isn't powerful enough to handle it. I think I'm hearing a bit of delay on your recording. Go into your drivers and take the buffer down to 128. That's what I do to record vocal tracks. No latency there, but it's more of a strain on the resources. Did you see the Line 6 video on freeing up resources on your PC to run music apps better? They work!
http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-2085

:D JB
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanx JB. :) I went in and adjusted latency as you instructed...BIG dif, Dad.
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:39 pm

surfercook wrote:Thanx JB. :) I went in and adjusted latency as you instructed...BIG dif, Dad.
Glad I could help, dude!

:D JB
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:32 pm

just a reminder that if you're using the stand-alone and not the plugin, be sure to turn monitoring off on the recording tract.
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:43 pm

lucas wrote:just a reminder that if you're using the stand-alone and not the plugin, be sure to turn monitoring off on the recording tract.
Thanx for the tip...There are just so many settings to keep in check. Sometimes I think the MRS-8, or any stand-alone digital recorder, is just simpler to use. Sure is fun tracking right onto the PC though. And Pod Farm just has sooo many great tones. Not that ZOOM doesn't. I was hooked on there sounds from the moment I first plugged into my PS-02 waaay back in 1999!
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:13 pm

There's no way an MRS8 is easier to use - you just know how to use one :)
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:12 pm

tonyoci wrote:There's no way an MRS8 is easier to use - you just know how to use one :)
You're prob right,oci. I have had mine for two yrs now. Pretty new to the UX2. I def need a better PC for this interface, that's for sure. It freezes up when I try to insert a fourth instance of Pod Farm. So for now, I just render all the takes as I go. Works ok...kinda time consuming though. :type:
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:03 pm

tonyoci wrote:There's no way an MRS8 is easier to use - you just know how to use one :)
will agree with that.
It's a bit like going from a PC to a MAC, you generally tend to favor one over the other until you have the same level of familiarity.
surfercook wrote:It freezes up when I try to insert a fourth instance of Pod Farm
this is usually a resource issue on the computer.
lack of RAM, processor power, etc.
the up side of 'Render as you go' is that it forces you to record the processed guitar, so you'll have it as well in case you ever need to mix or remix without Line 6 hardware/software.
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:51 pm

Which begs the question why not run it as a stand alone as most of us do?
It will allow you to monitor with effects while printing a clean track than you can add effects to later if you don't want to commit to a sound.
For years musicians committed to a sound when recording. I do.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:55 pm

Sungodv wrote:stand alone will allow you to monitor with effects while printing a clean track. than you can add effects to later if you don't want to commit to a sound.
So you are saying it is more versatile to REC in stnd-lone, and is less demanding on PC resources? REC in stnd-lone, Then tweak the amps/cabs/effects later? It won't REC the loaded effects that you tracked with?
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:22 pm

It may do you some good to check out the PDF users manual that get's installed into the program folder. :whistle:
You may need GearBox to do the record on #3 while monitoring effects on #1 (or vice versa) as I'm not really a PodFarm user.
Oh, and with Tone Direct monitoring, I've never had any latency.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:33 am

I use the plugin because I tend to need re-amp later.
The plugin is much quicker to use for that, just like changing or adjusting any other FX on the track.
you just record to one track and you get the processed guitar and the clean un-processed guitar in the same track.
to do this with stand alone, you need to simultaneously record on 2 different tracks using 2 different inputs for each track.
example in Reaper:
- track #1 has the processed guitar coming in on send 1 for mono or sends 1&2 for stereo
- track #2 has the un-processed guitar coming in on send 3 for mono or sends 3&4 for stereo

depending on your PCs capabilities, using the stand alone instead of the plugin may not help with your issue, especially if you find you often need to re-amp using the clean WAV and the plugin.
it's possible to route the clean WAV out to the stand alone again and record the output on another track, but I haven't tried this.
I suspect it won't save you any CPU or RAM resources or enough to make worth the effort to set that all up.

but that's me, so give it a shot if you think it might help your work flow. :)
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:09 am

lucas wrote:use the plugin because I tend to need re-amp later.
The plugin is much quicker to use for that, just like changing or adjusting any other FX on the track.you just record to one track and you get the processed guitar and the clean un-processed guitar in the same trac
That's what I've been doing. Very cool to have the option to change up the amp/cab/effects change. 8)
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:56 pm

Lucas, I don't think the "Stand Alone" records a clean signal. Everything it sends to the DAW is after the AMP so it's not really clean. The PlugIn records a genuinely clean signal. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that was how it worked.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:16 pm

tonyoci wrote:Lucas, I don't think the "Stand Alone" records a clean signal. Everything it sends to the DAW is after the AMP so it's not really clean.
My UX2 is set to send the processed (amp'ed) signal on sends 1 & 2 and the clean signal on sends 3 & 4.
I don't remember doing the anything special in the UX2 for this, so I believe it's the default setup.
In Reaper:
- click on the 'IN' button
- select 'RECORD INPUT'
- in that same pop-up menu go towards the bottom and select 'Mono Input' or 'Stereo Input' to get the menu for sends to record on that track.

I actually did this a couple of times to check it out, but it felt like extra effort without any real benefit.

I use the standalone, (usually Gearbox) for the tuner mostly, but also when I just feel like playing guitar.
sometimes I use it to play along with a song since I don't need to set up a track.

Surfercook
you're also using Reaper, correct?
once you render the processed guitar, you can save some resources by right clicking on the PODFarm plugin for the track and selecting 'Offline' mode.
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:32 pm

lucas wrote:once you render the processed guitar, you can save some resources by right clicking on the PODFarm plugin for the track and selecting 'Offline' mode.
Thanx lucas...that was one of the first things I learned in Reaper. Big help goin offline w/effects. Especially w/my old machine.
0 x