TONEPORT DI-S -

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: TONEPORT DI-S -

Post by lucas » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:39 am

Are you trying to use the Gearbox plugin or just the standalone?
I'm running Win 7 and use the PODFarm 1 plugin in Reaper and also have the stand alone for both Gearbox 3.72 and PODFarm 1 installed and working fine.
just don't try to have them open at the same time.
strat581 wrote:When I rolled back - none of my line 6 products would even launch. No Toneport, No DI silver.
My understanding of the restore function is that it resets the registry (along with other things) to whatever it was when that restore point was made.
If it was made before you installed the Line 6 software, then you will need to re-install the software to get it working.
I never use the restore function. I always have a spare drive that I have cloned a clean installation to or a drive with an 'image' of a clean installation along with an image of freshly working setup (all needed apps installed and everything tweaked).
Re-installing XP isn't scary, just time consuming. you can easily spend a day installing & updating XP, followed by whatever time is needed to install and setup or tweak whatever apps you need.
If you go that route you should prep before you start:
- make sure you have a valid XP license with a valid key code and working install disc. If you have PC from a majo Mfg. (Dell, etc.) you should have an XP Disc to re-install with. Use it and you probably won't have to bother with 'activating' XP.
- download XP SP2 & SP3 (Service Packs) from Microsoft
- download all latest XP drivers for your for Video card, Network adapter and sound card (Toneport & the PC's sound card). Then burn them to a disc or copy them to a thumb drive.
- download the latest versions of your apps and burn them to a disc or copy them to a thumb drive.
- if your hard dive is 3-5 years old, you should consider just getting a new one and put the new installation on it. The benefits are that your old drive is near or past the Mfg.'s estimated failure date. I've seen drives last 10 years in a machine that was on 24/7 and drives that barely made it past the est. failure date in a machine that was shut down every night and not used on some days.
However, the latter situation is more likely than the former.
The second benefit is that if you have issues with the new install you can always use the old drive with the old installation to get back up and running quickly to find a fix for whatever is causing the new install to fail.
Last edited by lucas on Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:52 am

Thanks, Lucas.
I pretty much agree with him on everything except Service Pack 3, especially if this machine is off the Internet. Even if it wasn't, saying no to SP3 will still get you all the updates/security fixes without some of the changes to the OS (which is reversible with Registry hacks, but why bother?).
Also, some manufacturers machines that don't come with recovery media require it be made via an application within the OS and/or have other recovery methods embedded in the hard drive. In the case of the latter, one would have to obtain the media or have the OS restored by an authorized service center in the event of hard drive failure.
Using a PC without understanding what to do or who to call in the event of a catastrophic failure isn't a very wise decision.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:23 am

Sungodv wrote:I pretty much agree with him on everything except Service Pack 3, especially if this machine is off the Internet.
yes, the SP3 debate is a topic unto itself.
It seems to be mostly about whether SP3 makes XP slower or not.
I never noticed an issue with it, but apparently Sungodv has.
If the PC is never on the internet or your own personal network, then you won't need to install SP3 for the security benefits it has as well as the security benefits from the post SP3 updates that require it to be installed in order to get them.
Regardless of whether you use it, now is a good time to download it and burn it to a disc or get it on a thumb drive so it's on hand if you need it.
Sungodv wrote:some manufacturers machines that don't come with recovery media require it be made via an application within the OS and/or have other recovery methods embedded in the hard drive. In the case of the latter, one would have to obtain the media or have the OS restored by an authorized service center in the event of hard drive failure.
I have gotten copies of the XP install discs by simply calling Dell and IBM's support line and requesting them.
I got them free but some Mfg.s charge a nominal fee for the disc. (it used to be around $8-$10).
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:01 am

Sungodv wrote: ...saying no to SP3 will still get you all the updates/security fixes without some of the changes to the OS...
There is no debate about changes to the OS and again, there is no need for SP3. You'll will get all the successive critical updates ( after SP3's release) from Microsoft.
Back to the topic at hand, I'm anxious to know whether the OP has fixed his problem.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

strat581
Jedi
Jedi

Post by strat581 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:00 am

Thanks for all the good info. Last night me & the monkey switched everything over to podfarm 2. It has been such a long time since I added a new plugin into acid pro 6 I forgot how to get podfarm to show up in my pulldown list. This will be my project today.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:14 pm

Sungodv wrote: ...saying no to SP3 will still get you all the updates/security fixes without some of the changes to the OS...
Unfortunately for me, that has not been my experience with it.
I recall running across post SP3 updates that required SP3 to be installed, but I've also never seen the changes it makes to the OS cause any issues.
I haven't done a fresh install of XP for 6-8 months, so maybe this has changed.
I have also run across apps that require SP3, but those were likely to be work related.
I'm certainly not insisting that SP3 be installed, just suggesting that it be downloaded along with SP2 in case it's needed in the future. :)
strat581 wrote:It has been such a long time since I added a new plugin into acid pro 6 I forgot how to get podfarm to show up in my pulldown list. This will be my project today.
I believe tonyoci used to use acid , so you might PM him if you can't figure it and see if he remembers how to install plugins in it.
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:31 pm

I stand by last post, but since you insist.....
lucas wrote: I recall running across post SP3 updates that required SP3 to be installed...
Really? Windows updates? Can you be more specific? :look:
lucas wrote:...but I've also never seen the changes it makes to the OS cause any issues..
Well then Google it! :D Here's an easy one, start with IE 6, 7 or 8 on your desktop and then see what happens after SP3.
lucas wrote:I haven't done a fresh install of XP for 6-8 months, so maybe this has changed..
Well there you go. I would bet our ratio on installs of OS's in the past 12 months, XP or otherwise, and their subsequent updates would probably be in the range of 50 to 1. More than likely a much larger a ratio if you were to average in the last 10 years. :mrgreen:
Let me know if I'm wrong on this. :roll:

@ strat581: Your software should rescan the VST folder upon launching it. Within the preferences there is also an option to manually scan any specific folder for VST's if memory serves. I haven't used Acid since 2006 or so.
0 x
My Songs

strat581
Jedi
Jedi

Post by strat581 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:08 am

Podfarm is loaded an works as a plugin for Toneport DI-silver
Gearbox works on UX2

the only thing not working

After a track is recorded in Acid.
Applying gearbox effect to track
Acid launched gearbox but displays

READY TO ACTIVATE:
Line 6 Monkey will run
and activate for you.

Monkey Says that it already installed & activated.
I have green check marks next to
Drivers 4.1.1.7
Line 6 monkey 1.35
Gearbox 3.72
Gearbox plugin - green check mark activated.

I have contacted Line 6 directly - waiting on response.
I did not realize that gearbox & podfarm could coexist.
So best of both worlds.
Hopefully Line 6 can resolve this.
Thanks for the all the help. Good to know the Zoom forum is
alive and well.

Mike
0 x