Recording guitar with UX2 & Reaper

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Re: Recording guitar with UX2 & Reaper

Post by Sungodv » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:47 am

Maybe you all are showing, and TJ you're looking at, tracks that are minimized or near minimized. Isn't REAP easy to set up visually the way you want it? Seems to me I've heard it is highly customizable. Maybe there is a way to change the waveform resolution on the tracks.
In Sam the waveforms are pretty much visible on tracks even when they are in their smallest size. They get smaller or larger dependent upon whether the fader is pushed up or down or the volume handles in the object is raised or lowered. And naturally, the smaller the track, the smaller the waveform. It does show the relative db scale depending upon track size or zoom percentage. I guess I could post a screen print. Check yer help files or maybe a zom will figure it out and post a 'how to'..... :P I bet you can set that thing up just like ya like it.

I'm the one who's sorry, Peter? I hate to think somebody bought something on my recommendation to eventually end up wasting their money. You really should sell it to someone who wants it. I never see a good price on eBay and rarely even see anything listed lower than big Sam so I bet you could get what you paid for it or close to it. :yes:
You're a stand up guy, Marc....er, Pete.
I've gotta line on some killer classical strings with a metal woung G at sale prices. PM/Email me if interested.
Last edited by Sungodv on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:09 am

Sungodv wrote:Maybe you all are showing, and TJ you're looking at, tracks that are minimized or near minimized.
Yes....I was thinking the same. It is really easy to zoom just one track in. Check page 36 of the PDF manual. It amazes me how much went into this DAW and how little I paid for it. Screenshot is of the steel string acoustic guitar zoomed in all the way.
Sungodv wrote: I hate to think somebody bought something on my recommendation to eventually end up wasting their money.You really should sell it to someone who wants it.
You suggested I sell it once before, Steve. And my reply is the same this time. I fully intend on using it to it's fullest potential, well, to the best of my ability. I was totally impressed by everything Samp Prod 11.5 had to offer and never had buyers regret for an instant. It's a little tough at first, but once you crack that shell and start rolling w/it, it gets easier. It's just that I've grown complacent and used to REAP since I've used it longer. Eventually I'll break open Samp again and start "Project-ing" w/it again. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:30 am

Top track maximized.
You can see that the bass waveform didn't have much gain comapared to the rest of these tracks....but it was an easy fix with the trim knob.
Last edited by Sungodv on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

Other Tony
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Other Tony » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:07 pm

I recognise those files Sunny ;)

Well my original point was why does PF2 standalone produce a better signal than when using it at a VST.....Same preset patch, same settings, no +18 button pressed...totally different sized wav.

Thanks to all for the screenshots I really appreciate it....I can see that looking at Marc's and Lucas's that they record similar sized wavs too, so I guess it's just normal......Although I don't agree about the zoom in thing....You are zoomed right in there Marc and the wav still looks small, for that level of zoom anyhow (IMHO)

I have recorded in many different DAWs, Cubase, Logic, Garageband, Pro-tools and none off them ever produced Wavs as thin as the one's I get in Reaper....Not that I'm saying it the DAW...I think it's the UX2....really don't understand why they didn't put a input gain button on the unit...what if you didn't want to use PF2 :nuts:

Anyhow, Thanks again everyone, you have all been really helpful :^:

Oh Yeah, BTW Steve....I have bought my Reaper licence, I just didn't want people to see my full name! :P
Last edited by Other Tony on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Please be 100% honest when reviewing my songs and don't worry about offending me!

My Songs on Youtube

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:12 pm

Tony Jack wrote:...I ...bought my Reaper licence, I just didn't want people to see my full name!
Yeah sure, save it for your counsler. :look:

:P

I keed, I keed. :lol:

I for one, know what you were asking for, but as I said, I don't use the VST version so I wouldn't be of much help. Just use the stand alone. It's what all the cool cats do... 8)
0 x
My Songs

Other Tony
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Other Tony » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:24 pm

I have bought it, I HAVE!!!

Nah nah nah nah nah :P

:lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Please be 100% honest when reviewing my songs and don't worry about offending me!

My Songs on Youtube

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:53 pm

Well...I really like REAP, Farm, and the UX2. They are like the S'mores of PC RECing! Does it really need to have a big wav form? If ya hafta edit a track, just zoom in and do your thing.
Off topic...howdya get such a clear screenshot, TJ? I tried like 10x and failed. When I go to use the Snipping Tool(Win7) REAP goes offline so I hafta do it the looong way. Shift>prt scr>open Paint>paste
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD

Other Tony
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Other Tony » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:15 pm

I just pressed the Print screen button then opened paint and pasted it on there...not sure why mine looks better though :?

My laptop does have a HD LED screen....maybe that is why?....I don't know tbh
0 x

My Songs on Youtube

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:22 am

One of the reasons you don't get a big wave form is that both of you are recording at quite low volumes. I don't have my music PC on right now but I get large wave forms that fill the whole width of the track. Especially Surfercook has REALLY low input volume on that recording.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:09 pm

If you really need a larger WAV form you can normalize the track and turn down the channel to accommodate the higher level.
- un-select all tracks.
- right click on the track you want to alter.
- select Item Processing
- select Normalize Items

- Tony Jack -
if you're concerned about showing you name in your screen shot, but do want to show the license for some reason, you can turn it off.
The following is for v3.74, but it's likely to be the same or similar.

click on 'HELP"
select 'ABOUT'
click on the tab 'PURCHASE'
find and check the box next to 'HIDE REGISTERED NAME FROM MAIN TOOLBAR'
This will remove your name and leave 'LICENSED FOR PERSONAL/SMALL BUSINESS USE' in place.
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:22 pm

Before you go normalizing, read this. Not sure if you can go back once you've done this in REAP as you can in some DAWs. Either way, this will give you a very good idea of what you are doing to your tracks.
That said, I never normalize.
Myself or otherwise. :hilarious:
0 x
My Songs

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:51 pm

You sure have a lot of theories on software you know little about. Of course you can go back.

For home recording, normalizing is fine to fix a problem, it would be better to start getting a better input signal though.
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:04 pm

I had no theories...where did you get that? Don't let your dislike of me cloud things.
I used REAP too...probably before you left Acid Pro. :look:
0 x
My Songs

Other Tony
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Other Tony » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:23 pm

I have skim read that article Steve it looks good, I will go back through it again :)

I thought about normalising the tracks but i was worried about creating extra noise....

How do you record Tony? Do you use PF as a VST plugin or do you open PF standalone.......Either way I'm still a bit confused with how to turn the level up, if I do it in the mixer it seems to create noise even on the 'clean' effect presets

Thanks for the licence display tips Lucas :^:
Last edited by Other Tony on Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

My Songs on Youtube

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:39 pm

Cool website, Sunguy. And good to know about the hide-your-name-leave-your-license thing lucas. I'm out..gonna go get normal!!
0 x

manzana
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by manzana » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:01 pm

I have recorded with Gearbox/Podfarm in vst- and standalone mode but i use ableton live and not reaper. Perhaps i can help with my expierience in ableton.

The low wave form is normal. If you record in vst mode, only the dry input signal with normal (low) level is recorded and the effects and the level boost or ampgain (don’t know how to call it) is processed in realtime on the dry signal afterwards when you hit the play button of your DAW. To increase the level of the dry input signal you have to go to the mixer in standalone mode (btw. some settings are only available in standalone mode, like the mixer and input settings). Change the fader position or hit the +18 button, but normaly there is no need to. The fader and button settings in the mixer come before the record in the DAW and are not processed afterwards.

When you record the dry signal with the podfarm vst on it in a new empty track then you get the wet signal with a bigger wave form in this new track.

In standalone mode you can choose between dry and wet recording. Look in the mixer above the fader. You can choose processed (bigger wave form, because of input level boost and ampgain) or dry input (low waveform) setting.
Please excuse my broken english. Hopefully i could help.
cheers
0 x

ron-e-g
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by ron-e-g » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:31 pm

Manzana, you could of chimed in earlier. And saved me a lot of reading! :lol: Well put..I don't know if any of it is true..but it makes sense. I asked this question a few years back on a couple other sites. Didn't get any response! :(
Anybody remember those two track recorders that came in a lunch box size case? Man were they simple or what? Funny...my voice never sounded like me tho......
0 x
Ronny

"The older I get, the better I was"

Songs by Ron-e-g

Zoom MRS 1608, Mixcraft 5, Reaper, Steven Slate Drums, EZ-Drummer, Superior Drums, EZKeys, Art Tube Amp,T-Racks, Line 6 Tone Port Ux2, Pod Farm, Gearbox, Guitar Rig 4/5 Pro, Rode NT1-A Mic, i7 950, 24GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, OCZ 120GB SSD, 1 TB second & 3 TB External, 2- 23" AOC displays, Behringer 3031A 8" Truth Monitors, Fender Strat, Schecter C1 Classic, Micheal Kelly Hybrid, Ovation Celebrity Deluxe, Takamine 332-C And Me!