Recording guitar with UX2 & Reaper

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Recording guitar with UX2 & Reaper

Post by lucas » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:59 pm

Normalizing doesn't appear to affect the actual WAV, again Reaper has non-destructive editing, like most DAWs.
I did a quick test to check this, however you should always have make a backup copy of your original tracks anyway.
Alternative method instead of normalizing:
- right click on the track
- select 'TAKE'
- select 'TAKE VOLUME ENVELOPE'
- a red line wil appear on the track, use your mouse to raise the line and the WAV will get bigger as the volume is increased.
this way you can make the WAV bigger for editing and return to '0' (original volume) if needed.
Last edited by lucas on Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:15 am

manzana wrote:If you record in vst mode, only the dry input signal with normal (low) level is recorded and the effects and the level boost or ampgain (don’t know how to call it) is processed in realtime on the dry signal afterwards when you hit the play button of your DAW. To increase the level of the dry input signal you have to go to the mixer in standalone mode (btw. some settings are only available in standalone mode, like the mixer and input settings). Change the fader position or hit the +18 button, but normaly there is no need to. The fader and button settings in the mixer come before the record in the DAW and are not processed afterwards.
this was covered earlier in the thread.
manzana wrote:When you record the dry signal with the podfarm vst on it in a new empty track then you get the wet signal with a bigger wave form in this new track.
or you can just right click on the track and select 'Apply track FX to items as new take'
this applies all VST FX loaded on that track/channel to the take, so be sure to bypass or disable the FX for that channel before listening to the new take.
manzana wrote:In standalone mode you can choose between dry and wet recording. Look in the mixer above the fader. You can choose processed (bigger wave form, because of input level boost and ampgain) or dry input (low waveform) setting.
Please excuse my broken english. Hopefully i could help.
cheers
the UX2 & UX1 puts a dry signal out on sends 3 & 4, so you can just change your track input settings to 3 for mono or 3 & 4 for stereo instead of messing with your standalone. this allows you to record BOTH wet and dry at the same time using 2 different tracks.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:49 am

Tony Jack wrote:On a side note I think I prefered the meter's in Reaper 3.* to the ones in Reaper 4
you change to the 3.0 theme by clicking on 'OPTIONS', selecting 'THEMES', then select 'DEFAULT_3.0'
0 x