POD Farm Free - POD Farm 2.57

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

POD Farm Free - POD Farm 2.57

Post by lucas » Thu May 28, 2015 5:19 pm

I just did a Win 7 refresh and installed my old Firebox interface to try out POD Farm Free.
It comes with the latest POD Farm 2.57 installer. Basically, it goes into Demo mode if you don't have a license, an iLok dongle or a Line 6 device.
It works pretty well. You also get the x64 and x86 Plugins that also work in Demo mode without the previously mentioned license, dongle or devices.
I didn't notice any issues with the install or using it other than the nag screen the comes up every time you open it.
When you use a plugin, the nag screen pops up every time you view the plugin, but it's free, so that's a fair price.
The only issue I had was the huge change in volume between some of the presets.
Most are OK, but there are some that you have turn up for and some the need to be turn down quite a bit.

The amps are very limited, an 'American Blackface' and what appears to be Marshall (probably a JC800). There's also a power amp.
The Bass amps are limited to the Fliptop, a Gallien Krueger and another whose brand escapes me at the moment.
The interface is not re-sizable and the presets sections window is pretty dinky to navigate.
I was able to copy all the free presets to a user created folder and load it in POD Farm, then remove the factory default folders, so it's easier to Navigate.
The free presets are naturally very limited, but I found several that were functional out of the box or could easily be altered for my needs.

I don't think I'll need the full POD Farm 2 in the near future, but it's nice to be able to have it and use with a different interface.
I was thinking I 'd keep my UX1 as a dongle for Gearbox and POD Farm 1.
I don't think I'll need it now, so I'll probably sell it along with the UX2 and move to an Scarlett 2i2 or something with similar specs.

Anyone else using tried or using the new POD Farm 2.57 version?
Last edited by lucas on Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: POD Farm Free - POD Farm 2.57

Post by Zoetrope » Sun May 31, 2015 1:09 pm

The inability to resize Pod Farm has annoyed me for a long time. I guess no one at Line 6 has a decent (high res) monitor.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:38 am

Yes, not a being able to resize the stand-alone was always mildly irritating.
It's unfortunate they didn't add this ability to POD Farm 2 and actually made it feel more cramped. Maybe that's a 'feature' you get with the paid version?
It's still very usable though and once I got rid of all the presets I couldn't or wouldn't use, it was much less noticeable.
The fact that you can use POD Farm 2 without an iLok or Line 6 device as a dongle is a big improvement for me, since I never liked being locked into the Toneport interface.
I bought the UX1 as a travel interface and a back up in case the UX2 failed for some reason.
I actually like the way my unprocessed guitar sounds through my Firebox better than the toneport.
I will probably go back to that as my home interface and pick up a Focusrite Scarlett Solo or a Focusrite iTrack Pocket iOS (if I go with an iPhone for my phone upgrade) for mobile recording.

The hardware independent Farm 2.5 Standard is only $99, so if I decide to flesh it out, it's within a reasonable price range for me.
I may do this for the vocal preamps or bass amps and presets for either.
When it comes to guitar, however, between the demo version, the free version of Amplitube 3 and the LePou guitar plugins I'm pretty well covered for my needs.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:26 am

I have the full version of Pod Farm 2 and it is not resizeable. But it's a necessary evil since I have all the effects packs. Lately I've been using the Pod HD500 far more than the UX2, but it's always nice to have it there when you just feel like dialing up a cool tone (or downloading one from Line6 Custome Tone) and jamming a song that's stuck in your head.
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:41 pm

What? No links?
I'm still running GearBox when I want to record an idea or tune an instrument.
Are you talking that PF can be run as a VST effect?
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:20 am

Sungodv wrote:What? No links?
Not sure what there is to link to, the Line 6 website?
I think you know where that is.
Sungodv wrote:Are you talking that PF can be run as a VST effect?
PF has always had a VST since version 1, so did Gearbox.
POD Farm 'free' 2.5 and up has both the x86 and the x64 VST included with the standalone.
The nag screen is a bit more annoying with plugin, since you are likely to open it multiple times during a session, unlike the standalone.
It's free, though, so not really an issue.
So far, I think Amplitube 3 CS (AKA 'free') has a better layout, but I've only done testing at this point.
POD Farm 2.5 standard is $99.
Amplitube 3 CS 'free' lets you purchase credits and use the credits to just add the equipment you want 1 or 2 at a time.

I'll decide after I've used them for an actual recording session or two before deciding whether I need to buy one or the other or give some money to Lepou.
0 x