Toneport UX1 review

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Post by Unstablxxx » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:56 am

Thanks for the valuable info, Zoe... I haven't used toneport, but here's my two cents anyway: :2cents: Consider it payment for a job-well-done!

Thanks, again,

Mike
0 x
Mike
-
-
Rocketing towards 5000 posts without a care in the world!
-
-
My solo music | My Eljam music | My Studio Tour | Vocal Effect Demo | Kristal Tutorial

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:56 am

That wet/dry recording is a major bonus if you can do what I'm about to ask.

Can these be used for reamping - which is something I've always wanted.

a) Record guitars with Amp A through gearbox but at the same time record them dry through the other track
b) Now run the dry tracks back through gear box somehow and get a different amp/settings ?

Tomas, your question about POD & Toneport is one I've been pondering. The POD is a recording interface, as you know. In a perfect world I'd like to sell my POD but the problem is that the toneport is not a practical option for just playing guitar without the PC therefore I need to keep the POD, this does present a challenge to decide. Given that the toneport is a nice unit, easy to use with familiar software I still think I'm better off with that than with something by another company. Interesting question though.

Tony
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:22 am

tonyoci wrote:a) Record guitars with Amp A through gearbox but at the same time record them dry through the other track
b) Now run the dry tracks back through gear box somehow and get a different amp/settings ?
First, let me make sure I get the question. The setup initially is:
Guitar :arrow: Toneport :arrow: Computer
You record both wet and dry. Then you want to play the dry tracks through the Toneport and put a different amp on them, and record the result:
Computer :arrow: Toneport :arrow: Computer

Theoretically you could use the computer's soundcard for playback, and the Toneport for recording, so you could set it up this way, BUT, I don't think you can put the amps after the 3-4 send. It's only the effects that can go after the send. So any "dry" recording will still have the amp and cab combo you recorded with initially. However, you could just record totally dry initially, with no amp or cab chosen (just using the Toneport as a direct box basically) and then reamp that in the way I described. Mind you, I haven't tried this. The two sound cards might not like eachother. You would also have to set it up so that the recorded signal is not being output to the sound card, just the already recorded tracks, otherwise you'll have a nasty feedback loop. This kind of goes back to the old patchcord input output trick we used to do with the PS-02, which never worked very well. In this case I think it's doable, but it would take careful setup.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:32 am

So you're saying the AMPS are before and the effects are after ? (before and after what I haven't figured out). So that means there is no way to record with AMP and without AMP at the same time

The POD XTL allows for reamping but I've never tried it. I guess you indirectly answered the question and I guess I already new the answer. The gearbox software can only be applied to the signal coming from the toneport not to an already recorded track. There is plug in amp software such as AmpFarm that could probably do the reamp after you've recorded.

Recording dry doesn't work for what I'm after. I want to get a nice full effected sound, then tack a dry copy of it and run it through different amps for a very nice doubling or stereo effect. I can do that now with POD and Variax it's just a lot of work.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:51 am

Yeah. Gearbox isn't doing the work, it's not a plugin. The work is happening inside the Toneport itself. And yeah, it's a little weird to think of the effect being after the amp. It makes more sense to say that the effects have the option of being part of the 3-4 send or not, while the amp doesn't have that option.
Here's a pick of the sofware:
It's an interface for the hardware in the Toneport (at least that's my understanding), just like there's software for the microKorg that makes it easier to set up a patch.

The easiest way to do what you're talking about is to record direct to your multi-track software with a plugin; monitor with the plugin working so you hear the sound you want, then change the plugin later if you like. I'm pretty sure this can be done with N-track; not sure about other programs.

Oh, and here's another shot of Gear Box without all those lines and text:
There's another larger pic at http://www.procom.no/ny/images/line6uxstor.jpg
0 x

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:53 am

Zoetrope, please refrain from futzing.
0 x
Music's never been a hobby to me- it's a pure joy.

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:10 am

Rick Jones wrote:Zoetrope, please refrain from futzing.
Now you're asking too much. :shock:
I come from a long line of futzers, it's in my blood :wink:
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:59 pm

A related question after reading the Line 6 site.

The Variax allows for 2 separate outputs, according to one post I could run the one output into the UX2 input 1 and amp it one way, then run the second output in input 2 and amp it a different way.

If that works then that would be terribly cool.

I realize it might be hard to test with the UX1 but any idea ?
0 x

manzana
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by manzana » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:11 am

yes, if you use two inputs you can amp and effect them differently! Perhaps a bass and a guitar or as i do a mic and a guitar at the same time with different amp/effect settings.
but does the variax realy has two outputs at the same time? I will have a try.

I agree with Zoe about the incredibly user friendlyness of Line6 and Ableton Live. I tried Steinberg Cubase and Logic Audio, but now i use Ableton Live 5 and its the best recording software i found. (I will have a look at Garageband in the future!)
I think Line6 Gear box is the best solution for digital effects, amp/mic modeling on your computer at this low-price.

for me the toneport UX2 is such a great tool and i am very happy to have one!
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:40 am

Yeah, I don't know about the UX2, but the UX1 lets you put two line inputs in the back of the unit, which could be the left and right coming from a stereo source like the microKorg, or two independent sources, treated as line 1 and line 2. Each line then has its own effects, amps, whatever. Send 1-2 is the stereo send for line 1 and Send 3-4 is the stereo send for line 3-4, so you could record all this to separate tracks or two stereo tracks. Pretty flexible. I'll try to play around with that more later. Right now I have to get to my vocal demo . . .
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:45 am

Ok, here is my vocal demo. It's 8 minutes long, which is about 7 minutes longer than it should have been. I demo the preset vocal options, and then goof around adding effects to vocals for no real reason. I used my Shure 12AH mic, which is not a very good one, so you'll get an idea of what a so so dynamic mic sounds like through the Toneport. I hope to do more demos this weekend so stay tuned.

The only thing I did to the wave file after recording this was to normalize those sections that were too quiet so you don't have to keep adjusting your volume. The preset I begin with (Webcast DJ) is awful and will sound like crap, but it gets better. I think. :oops:
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:05 am

Here's an acoustic guitar demo. If I had it to do over I'd move the mic a little away and further up the neck, it's sounding a bit boomy. However, it gives you some idea of what's possible with a really cheap mic, in this case my Samson R11.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:27 am

One more and then I've got to color some eggs. Here's a demo of the electric guitar presets. It's very long and very boring, but it will give you a very good idea of what sounds you can get. Anyone who listens to the whole thing gets a prize; two Tylenols. You'll need them. :lol:
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:32 am

Zoetrope wrote:the UX1 lets you put two line inputs in the back of the unit
Back to this topic, i tried plugging the electric guitar in the back of the Toneport. Not too surprisingly, it was a very quiet signal compared to plugging into the instrument jack, since the Line input expects something with some power, like a synth. So it might be hard to get a good volume doing it that way. I would need an adaptor to plug it into the mic jack since that wants a three pin balanced plug, so I didn't test that.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:28 pm

No time yet to listen but I notice that Merlin/Rick Norton from this weeks Home Made Hit Show has a UX1
0 x

MatBio
Yoda
Yoda

Post by MatBio » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:46 pm

Hey Zoe, thanks for the demos. I think I like the vocal FX, but I didn't like the acoustic or electric sounds, they don't sound bad, but still not convincing enough to me.

My biggest concern, same when I tried a POD, was that all nice tonal characteristics of my LP might disappear. When I tried POD it didn't really matter what guitar I was playing , the sound was pretty much the same. I think this is a good thing if you have an average guitar, since it makes it sound good, but not the best if your guitar has a special sound.

I'm really convinced with the vocal sound, since special mic gear it's too expensive.
0 x
Tomas/Blues Tom/Matbio
MySpace

sambo
Jedi
Jedi

Post by sambo » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:51 pm

im with you 100% on that one tomas- im thinking of getting a PODXT live... but i love my Melody Maker so much and the POD or anything else like it, doesnt let my guitars sound shhine through.... which is SO annoying..... what im thinking now, is maybe a modelling amp... such as a Vox Valvetronix, as they respond better to guitars and dynamics like a nice valve amp way more than little FX units do...
0 x
Zoetrope wrote: "Sambo sneaks back in, and no one notices"