PC Recording - my first impressions

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

PC Recording - my first impressions

Post by tonyoci » Mon May 01, 2006 12:52 pm

Well I spent Sunday afternoon recording with my new Laptop and the POD XTL as an interface.

I have to say that I am simply stunned by how simple it is. I was able to be far more creative with my limited playing skills than I every could with the PS04. I was basically able to find drum loops, record, mix and fix all in one go and it has made it so much easier. Perhaps the biggest advantage for me is it makes it so much easier to record in parts instead of needing to play all the way through and the real time editing and identifying flaws is much better. I think that as someone else stated it might be the visual nature that helps.

It's not for everyone but it's working for me. Right now I have no way to do vocals though so it might be the PS04 for those but other than that I'm really enjoying myself.

Now back to the Toneport v Presonus decision :(

Tony
0 x

Macca
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Macca » Mon May 01, 2006 12:57 pm

cheers Tony, what is the spec of your lappy?

Have you just got the PxtL straight into USB2?
0 x
\m/

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Mon May 01, 2006 1:03 pm

Just use the 04 as an interface. This is why I like Audacity. I can see the music.
0 x
Music's never been a hobby to me- it's a pure joy.

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon May 01, 2006 1:11 pm

Yes MACCA, XTL to USB.

The reamping of guitars is an oustanding feature I did not know about. You can set the XT to record DRY so you hear the amps and effects but it records dry. Then you route it back around and record it with the amps and effects (from the dry signal) but the cool thing is you can do it again with different amps and effects and get some REALLY cool full stereo or triplio :D guitar sounds.

The laptop is 1.7 Pentium M, 5400rpm hard drive, 1gb memory. Big wide screen which was important for the mixing part.

An added cool feature of ACID is that you can loop a backing track section and repeatedly record over the top, it keeps every take and then you can select the one you want - very helpful for my "solos".

Rick, for some reason I can't get the PS04 to work as an interface. I'll try again but I was not getting any sounds into the PC when I tried.

Tony
0 x

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Mon May 01, 2006 1:13 pm

Even using it line out into your input it can't be used as a mic pre?
0 x
Music's never been a hobby to me- it's a pure joy.

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon May 01, 2006 1:22 pm

I need to check a little further. The laptop only has a MIC in but that should be good enough but after 30 seconds of trying at 1am it didn't work. I'm sure I can get it to work.
0 x

sambo
Jedi
Jedi

Post by sambo » Mon May 01, 2006 1:40 pm

tony, what did you buy other than the POD to get to where you are now PC recording wise? im just thinking, PC recording may be a great tool for my band, especially since me and the other guitarist are both buying multi-fx in the near future...
0 x
Zoetrope wrote: "Sambo sneaks back in, and no one notices"

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon May 01, 2006 1:48 pm

To record guitars you can use the POD on it's own though that way you can only record one guitar at a time which may not work for a band.

Next up for me is either a Line6 Toneport that can record guitars, bass and vocals (though only 2 at a time) or a Presonus 1394. these provide mic, guitar and line in ports, and can record 4 at a time though only 2 mics or guitars.

For a full band you should be looking at higher end Presonus or similar with more inputs, however this will not allow for reamping etc. as you can with the POD direct.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon May 01, 2006 1:50 pm

I should add that presonus is good option for a band. Each one allow for 4 input (or 2 mics/amps) but you can link them. So each band member can have their own for recording at home, then when you get together you can link them for 16 inputs.
0 x

sambo
Jedi
Jedi

Post by sambo » Mon May 01, 2006 1:50 pm

kool thanks... whats reamping though? sorry im a retard....

the lack of simultaneous recording wouldnt be too much of a problem as we've managed one at a time on the PS-04 so far... reasonably well....

keep us posted on how you get on with the whole PC after more investigation... specifically with the POD as well...
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon May 01, 2006 2:01 pm

I describe reamping in the 4th post of this thread :D - a very cool feature I just learned about.
0 x

Macca
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Macca » Mon May 01, 2006 2:03 pm

tonyoci wrote:Yes MACCA, XTL to USB.

The reamping of guitars is an oustanding feature I did not know about. You can set the XT to record DRY so you hear the amps and effects but it records dry. Then you route it back around and record it with the amps and effects (from the dry signal) but the cool thing is you can do it again with different amps and effects and get some REALLY cool full stereo or triplio :D guitar sounds.
Snoochie boochies.. I STILL haven't been able to upgrade the firmware on mine yet.. I put the MIDI into the joystick port on my PC but either I don't have the right cable (only one midi into the pod) or the port doesn't do MIDI out... grrrrrrr!
I really need to get this sort out.

Just out of interest, do you notice any latency at all over USB? (might have asked you that already - sorry!!)

thanks for your time mate
0 x
\m/

sambo
Jedi
Jedi

Post by sambo » Mon May 01, 2006 2:10 pm

ahah i think i understand reamping now.... cool thanks...

and i posted my last comment without seeing your little presonus thingy recommendation...

linking eh? sounds cool... how much do they cost? and you said your choosing between one of them and the toneport... would the toneport be as good for a band situation or would the other one suffice in that department?

thanks tony mate, this is all a great help this thread...
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon May 01, 2006 2:21 pm

Sambo, toneport only has 2 inputs and cannot be linked, however it does include amp models and effects like a cutdown pod and can be upgraded to a full pod.

Macca, I do not notice any latency at all, I have no real idea how I would notice it so obviously I'm not.

My recommendation for the pod is either to see if you can take it to a store or find a friend with working MIDI or buy a cheap USB-MIDI interface (M-audio UNO) and return it when you've used it :D
0 x

sambo
Jedi
Jedi

Post by sambo » Mon May 01, 2006 2:23 pm

lol ok thanks tony...

hmmm.... interesting...

anyway yeh, keep this thread updated with how you get on...
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Mon May 01, 2006 4:56 pm

Speaking of Toneport, my UX2 is on the way :wiggle: :cheer:

Sounds like a good setup Tony. What's the Pod xtl, an effects unit or an interface? Or both.
0 x

sambo
Jedi
Jedi

Post by sambo » Mon May 01, 2006 5:03 pm

i think its both. but as well as just effects it has full modelling capabilities as well (there is a difference right?) meaning you can go:

guitar----> XT Live----> compooper----> fine, fine music :D
0 x