Toneport / Ableton Live 5 / Jamstix...great combination

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
Rocles
Rising Star
Rising Star

Toneport / Ableton Live 5 / Jamstix...great combination

Post by Rocles » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:28 am

After favourable comments from Tony and others, I bought a Toneport UX2...fantastic, very pleased. I already have both a Pod XT Pro and XT Live, this is a neat all-in-one unit for Vox/Bass and Guitar....also doubles as a high quality soundcard too.

The TP came with the cut down Demo of Ableton Live...got me interested, cut a long story....I now have Ableton Live 5, and spent all weelk learning it. Have to say its brilliant, very easy and logical to use. Does neat tricks like syncs any Drumloop to the correct project Tempo, and even synced two entirely different loops together, great stuff.

I continued my quest for an all-in PC recording unit. Decided to try JamStix....wow! After 10 mins Demo, I bought it. The best drum creation softwaret I ever heard. It locks to any Midi and/or Audio input, so really does play along with you, VERY realistic, and also very flexible, loads of styles/kits/variations....you really can just leave it to play itself if you want. Highly recommended....only moderatly hard bit was initial setup, but really its easy...it runs as a VST plugin in Live, and you simply create a blank midi track, drag and drop JamStix on it, and its set. Believe me, i'm a total Midi novice, so if I can do it....

Here's a Jam I recorded totally in Live 5, using Toneport for Bass and Guitar input, and Jamstix set to a Heavy style, synced for tempo via Midi and playing along to my Audio. Its at MY SOUNDCLICK SITE , second tune in list, called Jamstix Jam

PS....also discovered a great way to dramatically reduce Latency in recording applications...called ASIO4ALL, its a generic ASIO Driver, works great. The secret is to drop the buffer size as low as possible once its installed (mine is set at 64, default was 512) Easily and freely found on Google. Works great on both my Toneport and M-Audio 2496 USB Soundcards.

cheers,
Les
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:55 am

Les,
You bring a lot of good info to the table here.

Ableton - first off, the little demo jam you posted sounds great. The drums sound real (besides the demo sound blanks in the beat). Manzana is the only other person that I know of using it and his stuff always sounds incredible to me. I'll definately check it out when the 4 track unit comes with the Toneport KB I ordered. It didn't require a full week of tinkering to grasp I hope?! If it's intuitive then I'll be into it.

Jamstix - I downloaded the demo but watched the vids prior to running it. I'll have to admit that I'm turned off by the GUI being that it's the same click buttons for beats approach (I prefer thumping pads/keys by the measure). However, for folks that don't want to construct every beat they use from scratch, this program is incredibly! The sound quality is way up there. The whole jam session demo freaked me out. It's like having a collab partner on drums at all times. I'm sure many folks up here would benefit greatly from something like this. Especially those who seem to have one beat for an entire song (I won't name names :lol:). The forum on the site (Rayzoon) looks useful too. Who knows? I may circle back to this after toying with it.

ASIO4ALL - I'll check that out.

Good stuff.
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:59 pm

Good stuff Les. For the record Acid and probably others have all the same features you describe in Ableton so I don't think Ableton is the key, it's the combination of Toneport and PC recording.

I've tried Jamstix and I keep getting tempted, I found it's audio play along skills were a touch off at times and I feared I would never have the patience to do the necessary editing to get a complete song, any thoughts in that area would be appreciated.

I never understood owning a POD PRO and XT Live, now you add Toneport to the mix :D

Tony
0 x

Rocles
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rocles » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:11 pm

tonyoci wrote: I never understood owning a POD PRO and XT Live, now you add Toneport to the mix :D

Tony
Well, I got the XT Pro first....loved it. Then Line 6 announce XT Live with Variax control...had to have it :D ....and simply couldn't bear to sell the 'Pro.....the TonePort with added Vocal preamps...couldn't resist! Yes, i'm a Line 6 junkie :shock: ...and if needed, I could record two Modelled guitars, Bass and Vocals LIVE in my studio simultaneously(if they could all fit in...haha...)

It sure beats plugging my old 10 quid Hofner into my Dad's Radio cos I hadn't got an amp, then "multitracking" on my Cassette (Mono) recorder by covering the erase head with a piece of paper.....we've come a long way since then :wink:

Les
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:45 am

I tried downloading the Jamstix demo the last go-round we had on this and it said my computer didn't have enough room, which is odd because the new thing has like 99% free space. I might give it another go as I'm very interested in not having to worry about drums or having tomotos thrown at me for using PS drum/bass.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

manzana
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by manzana » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:29 am

don't use the link above! I got a virus warning! anyone got the same?
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:42 am

Lee wrote: Especially those who seem to have one beat for an entire song (I won't name names :lol:).
:oops:

I deleted the spam link Manzana is talking about, deleted the user account, and banned the IP it came from. But as always, only click links posted by known users. The spammers have been registering about 2 new accounts a day on this forum and it's all I can do to keep up with them.

As for the demo, I have to admit I'm not that impressed with the drum sound, although the fact that you didn't have to program it is cool. The jam overall sounds great. Is there a way to get the drum set so it isn't panned as wide and so the floor tom isn't so resonant? I'm guessing there is, but it's tweaking these magic drum programs that gets tiresome.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:36 pm

I think Jamstix lets you load any drum kit you have. Never tried thought :D
0 x

strat581
Jedi
Jedi

Post by strat581 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:58 pm

confused - went to website watched demo.

question 1:
They list live & sonar - compatable
they do not list Acid Pro 6 - Does anyone know if jamstix will work
with it?

question 2:
Demo shows the program listening to your music and automatically
program drums - is that correct?

Mike
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:14 pm

Acid Pro 6 and Jamstix do work (I downloaded the demo and tried it).

They can "jam along" but in my opinion it's not that great with AUDIO, it works very well with MIDI but less so with recorded audio, though taking their track and then editing it seemed to work out OK.

Tony
0 x

Rocles
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rocles » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:39 am

Jamstix forums are excellent. You can find them at THIS LINK

Also, the authors tech support is superb...responded personally very quickly when I had a minor problem ordering the product, not only resolved it but included a free bonus too.

The more I use Jamstix, the better I find it...very flexible. The idea is to run it in Free Jam mode for a couple of song run throughs...then switch to manual mode. You can then fine tune individual sections/fills/intros etc very easily and quickly. I HATE drum programming, but this is the only product I find quick and easy enough to use...

Les
0 x

strat581
Jedi
Jedi

Post by strat581 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:00 am

If I can not come up with a way to record the Roland V Session drums
The TonePort + Acid Pro 6 + Jamstix my be my work around. Not
use live drums for recording only performing. The demo drums I heard on the website sounded awesomel.
Thanks for the response
Mike
0 x

strat581
Jedi
Jedi

Post by strat581 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:08 pm

went to jamstix user forum -
Acid 6 has broken VST song positioning info, which makes it impossible for Jamstix to synch. Other plugs using synching are also affected (i.e. fxpansion Guru).

Sony has acknowledged the bug and promised to fix it in the next update.

Mike
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:03 pm

Weird because, though I only tried the demo, I did not have a problem. I also think Zoetrope has used the demo without problem.
0 x

strat581
Jedi
Jedi

Post by strat581 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:05 pm

I am still away's off before purchasing anything due to luck of $
Mike
0 x

strat581
Jedi
Jedi

Post by strat581 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:18 pm

I contacted Razoon - this is there response

Yes, Jamstix works with Acid Pro 6 but you need the latest patch from Sony since the original AP6 release had a bug that broke the song positioning info sent to plugins.

Also, please download the Jamstix demo and make sure it works fine in your specific DAW. I'll be happy to answer any questions or help with any issues as you explore the demo.

Hope this helps,
Ralph Zeuner
rayzoon technologies
http://www.rayzoon.com

Mike
0 x

Rocles
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rocles » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:04 pm

Ok, i'm going to revise my initial thoughts here. Due to appalling Sync issues, I've ditched Ableton Live. Its just too unpredictable, causing very noticeable timing errors on playback.

I've been trying REAPER this week....I am VERY pleased. Its a very small "footprint" to load, and handles Jamstix with ease (and most other VST/VSTi/DX plugins too) Its also much easier to use than Ableton Live. Its also nearly free...I say nearly, cos it puts an occasional nag box on bootup, but no other restrictions for home use...and its very reasonably priced too, so I may buy it. Very regular updates, a good Forum, and great support.

So, Toneport/Gearbox/Jamstix/Reaper...great combination

You can check out the download page HERE

cheers,
Les
0 x