H6 disturbing noise when used as audio interface

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Bomboora
new to this board
new to this board

H6 disturbing noise when used as audio interface

Post by Bomboora » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:03 am

I tried to use the H6 as an audio interface connected via usb to a pc with Ableton Life to record life music.
Each time on certain moments it starts making a loud very disturbing noise. I tried in stereo and in multi channel, no difference.

Does anybody knows how to solve this ?

Regards,

Bomboora
0 x
H6
Ableton Live

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: H6 disturbing noise when used as audio interface

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:56 pm

Ignoring the consistent substitution of "Life" for "Live", we'd probably need more details on the exact situation when you have the "noise" -- is it always n-minutes into a session, is it only when some function is activated, etc.

(BTW: have you searched the forum for other mentions of noise with H6 interface mode -- the device has been on the market for some time so unless the problem is unique to yours there may be other discussions -- for example:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19540&hilit=H6+interface+noise which appears to have no responses)

I'm slightly perplexed by your application -- Ableton Live as a DAW doesn't strike me as appropriate for just recording "live music"; it's "live" features are more in the sequencer side where one "plays" the program as an instrument, triggering pre-recorded material. {Note: this impression is what I got from Wikipedia and Ableton's web-site}. If all you are doing is recording live performances it just feels to me that using the H6 stand-alone would suffice, and then later copy the recorded tracks to the computer for post-processing.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Bomboora
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Bomboora » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi,

The noise can start any moment, sometimes only after 15 or 20 minutes, sometimes after 2 minutes.
It stops when I close Ableton live.

Ableton Live for recording live music: I use it for rehersals. You can have some backing tracks in Live, and then play along with it and record that.
Or you can combine recording audio tracks with midi insturments etc. It is very usefull as a "multi track". I do this, because in Live you can work more flexible than only with the Zoom.

Regards,

Jurgen
0 x
H6
Ableton Live

still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Post by still_fiddlin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:56 pm

Do you have a recording of the noise? Is it on all channels or just one in particular?

Noises with interfaces often are actually caused by resource limitations on the computer, and not the interface. Since it's only happening in that mode, can I ask what your computer system is, and if it's optimized for recording, e.g., network disconnect, anti-virus and other apps paused, etc.
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:03 am

Power and signal cable positions... quality cables (shielded) with no cross-overs... Chokes on power cables.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Bomboora
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Bomboora » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:55 pm

@ still_fiddlin, hi,

I run it on a windows 7, with a core i7 3,2 Ghz.
I use a Focusrite Scarlet on that same machine, and that never gives me problems, so I guess it is not the pc.

Regards,

Bomboora
0 x
H6
Ableton Live

Bomboora
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Bomboora » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:18 pm

@ Wulfraad, hi,

I use the same cables as on my Focusrite Scarlet, except for the usb cable.
I read somewhere that you can get disturbances from your computer via the usb cable, maybe a usb isolator, something like this: https://hifimediy.com/usb-isolator, can help.

Regards,

Bomboora
0 x
H6
Ableton Live