Zoom H5 vibrating vocal problem when used as audio interface

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
bitemyassnow
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom H5 vibrating vocal problem when used as audio interface

Post by bitemyassnow » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:05 am

Recorded vocal is always vibrating as if I'm singing in front of a fan. this is so frustrating.
I know there's a lot of problem on this model. Is this one of degraded quality that happen when it's used as an audio interface?
I tried everything, formatting, resetting, changing recording quality, trying another PC, another DAW , the problem still occurs.

Let me know if anyone has the same problem or solution here.
0 x

still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Re: Zoom H5 vibrating vocal problem when used as audio interface

Post by still_fiddlin » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:51 am

Sounds unusual. What DAW, and maybe a dumb question, but does the project sample rate match the setting on the H5?

Can you post some pics of the settings in the H5, DAW, and an audio track to let us hear the problem?

I briefly experimented with my H6 as an interface and didn't hear anything like that. It worked just as I expected, but I found using it tedious (since I already had a good interface for home use anyway).
0 x

Zoom In/Out
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Zoom In/Out » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Thank you for this thread! It describes what I have experienced as well.

These fluttering, flanging, vibrations, I notice most when sibilant sounds are performed. I had been using my H5 as a stand-alone recorder without this oscillation; so was surprised to detect it quite regularly when computer-mounted as a USB audio interface.

As my device is still warrantied, Zoom has advised that my unit could be sent to them through the retailer. If found faulty, it would be replaced with one new of the same model. I'm reluctant to do so, as if this flaw is common/"normal" H5 operation, time and effort will be squandered.

I'd sooner pay for an upgrade to the Zoom F4; though, I've not had success with convincing Zoom to make that allowance.

I'll fiddle with my setup, update ASIO drivers and else, to see if this issue can be mitigated in the meantime.
0 x

still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Post by still_fiddlin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:55 pm

The OP never checked back I see.

Is this with the built-in mics? Have you tried it with an external mic, guitar or line-level inputs through combo jacks? It might help isolate where it's happening if it's not all the same behavior depending on the input source, impedance and level.

Has anybody ever tried it with someone else's computer, maybe a Mac? (I'm 99.8% sure I didn't have to install anything to have the H6 work on the Mac. Old guy, so I have to allow for a little slippage...)
0 x