Zoom H6 64Gb SD card issue

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Dawnton
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom H6 64Gb SD card issue

Post by Dawnton » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:26 pm

Hello!

I tried my H6 with an original Samsung 64Gb SDXC card, but the device doesnt recognize it. I cant format it from the H6, it says: "error", and the rec counter says 0:00:00. I used this card perfectly with my phone. I tried to format it in my PC multiple times, tried SDHC, Fat32, exFat but none of these worked. Does anyone have experience with a 64Gb sdxc card in the H6? According to the manual it should work, so I dont understand why I have issues with it.

Thanks!
0 x

still_fiddlin

Re: Zoom H6 64Gb SD card issue

Post by still_fiddlin » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:37 pm

If you used it with your phone it must be a micro SD card and you have it in an adapter for PC and H6 use, right? I'd check the LOCK slider on the adapter, and double-check it.
1 x

Dawnton
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Dawnton » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:17 am

still_fiddlin wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:37 pm
If you used it with your phone it must be a micro SD card and you have it in an adapter for PC and H6 use, right? I'd check the LOCK slider on the adapter, and double-check it.
Yes. If I try it with lock on, it says: "sd card locked". I even tried it with different SD card adapters.
0 x

still_fiddlin

Post by still_fiddlin » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:34 pm

Dawnton wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:17 am
Yes. If I try it with lock on, it says: "sd card locked". I even tried it with different SD card adapters.
If you can't format it in a PC, I'd say there's something wrong with that card, but TBH I don't own a 64GB card, and it's possible the PC SD card slot is just too old to handle SDXC sizes.

I do see that it's not on the list of compatible cards listed at the Zoom site. Maybe that's all the problem is.
https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/f ... s_en_3.pdf
0 x

Dawnton
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Dawnton » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:14 am

still_fiddlin wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:34 pm
Dawnton wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:17 am
If you can't format it in a PC, I'd say there's something wrong with that card, but TBH I don't own a 64GB card, and it's possible the PC SD card slot is just too old to handle SDXC sizes.

I do see that it's not on the list of compatible cards listed at the Zoom site. Maybe that's all the problem is.
https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/f ... s_en_3.pdf
I can format it in my PC. The card is perfectly fine.

I didnt see this list, maybe you are right, the card is just not compatible. It is still odd tho, H6 cant handle a Samsung SD card...

Well then... I guess I have to buy a different one.

Thank you!
0 x

still_fiddlin

Post by still_fiddlin » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:34 am

Been away, so kind of missed this. I seem to recall I had a microSD card in an adapter and couldn't get it to work, and it was only a 2GB or so. Never pursued it because it was too small, but I have to wonder if it's really just a supply/demand thing that makes those microSD card+adapter prices lower than the full-size SD cards. Usually smaller costs more, but of course, they go in phones, so likely a much bigger market, or perhaps more price sensitive one than camera and recording folks. Dunno. But, still, I was looking at SD cards and 128GB is even cheaper (GB/$-wise) than the 64. So tempted...
0 x