H2n line in recording outside noise

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Alby100
new to this board
new to this board

H2n line in recording outside noise

Post by Alby100 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:28 pm

I bought the H2n to record my radio show as I am doing it live. I have a line out of the board that I plug into the line in on the H2n and the recording is fine. The problem is that apparently the mics on the H2n still pick up audio while recording into the line in. For example when I play back the show and there is a song playing, you can hear us talking in the background. It's can't be coming through the line in, as our talking is not going out over the air. Is there a way to shut off the mics when I an using the line in jack? I have the dial on the top set on the 2ch setting. Thank you for any assistance you could provide.
1 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: H2n line in recording outside noise

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:17 am

Manual, page 17... implies that the TRS mic/line-in feeds/replaces the XY microphone element, but does NOT bypass the M/S microphone element.

You state you are using the "2CH" SURROUND mode -- which uses four microphones. With the comment on page 17, that means you are using the line-in for the XY side, and still picking up the M/S ambient sound.

Recommendation -- Set the H2n to "XY" when using the line-in. (Or set to 4CH which puts the XY/Line-in in one stereo file, and the M/S into a second stereo file... Then ignore the M/S file <G>)
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Alby100
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Alby100 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:12 pm

Thank you for the assistance!! I will try the suggestions tomorrow during the show. I am curious though, in my H2n manual page 17 is "Setting the Date and Time". Is there a place online that I could view a different manual than the one that came with the unit? To be honest this manual is not very helpful to a new user. Thanks again for the help!
1 x

sciurius
been here a while
been here a while

Post by sciurius » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:17 am

It's page 16 actually, but the PDF displays 16 and 17 together...

You may consider this forum to be 'a different manual' :) .
1 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

Alby100
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Alby100 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:16 am

Thanks again. The suggestion worked. Much appreciation.
1 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:42 pm

There most likely isn't anyone more proficient at understanding what Zoom means, versus what Zoom writes, in a Zoom manual than Wulfraed. His advice is typically spot on.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:19 pm

:book:
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards