Zoom H-5 Remote Control Feature Request: Add markers

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
DoomLike
member in good standing
member in good standing

Zoom H-5 Remote Control Feature Request: Add markers

Post by DoomLike » Tue May 12, 2015 11:11 am

Hi !

The possibility to add BWF markers to wav file is one of the huge thing that the zoom h5 has to offer. Even portable recorder such as the soundevice 633 (2000 $) cant do it.

To add the marker we simply have to press the side button.
This is nice, but as all in-board control, it makes noise if you record with build in mic.

To counter these noises, Zoom has designed a remote control, to make actions on the recorder without touching it. Clever !

The bad news (and the object of this feature request) is that we can't add markers while recording or playing with the remote control, without stopping the recording. So sad !

Feature request:
As there is some unused button (while recording or playing) we could use them to set new mark.
In record mod, the next and previous buttons have no functions. 'next' could be used to add markers.
In play mod, the record button could be used.

Sure a dedicated button would be better, but this simple tricks will be perfect. It doesn't require any hardware modification :)

Thanks for listening, don't hesitate to tell me if I missed something.
2 x
My Zoom: H4 - H5 - R16 - G1u - G2u

commonman
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Zoom H-5 Remote Control Feature Request: Add markers

Post by commonman » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:24 am

Auray makes a third party remote for the H5 which (according to the product description) can add markers. I've only seen it here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... _zoom.html

$25. I've not tried it, and in fact have just about pulled the trigger on the Zoom accessory pack for the H5, but your feature request makes me think I should for the Auray version.
0 x

DoomLike
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by DoomLike » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi commonman !

Thank you for pointing this out :)

That sound like a great product, much clever than the default zoom, especially with the way the cable can be put inside the remote.

Unfortunately, as it has the same buttons than the default one, I'm pretty sure that the "insert marker" function is handle by pressing pause, just like the default remote control, and so, it stops the recording... =/

My feature request involve inserting new markers WHILE recording, without pause.

Still bad that this isn't supported...

Thank you for joining this discussion anyway :)
0 x
My Zoom: H4 - H5 - R16 - G1u - G2u

commonman
new to this board
new to this board

Post by commonman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:04 am

Ah, I hadn't noticed that. I bet you're right.
0 x

hce
new to this board
new to this board

Post by hce » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:22 am

DoomLike wrote:
Tue May 12, 2015 11:11 am
Feature request:
As there is some unused button (while recording or playing) we could use them to set new mark.
In record mod, the next and previous buttons have no functions. 'next' could be used to add markers.
In play mod, the record button could be used.
Exactly. Seems no one else crying out for this feature here. Such a shame and such a retrograde step. I upgraded from the H4n and can't believe they dispensed with this fantastic feature. I presume it was intentional holdback so as to re-include it in the next model along with punch in/out etc.
Very disappointing for such an easy fix by just using the prev/next buttons as you suggest. So sad indeed…
0 x