H4 Fast Forward & Rewind issue

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
spakuloid
new to this board
new to this board

H4 Fast Forward & Rewind issue

Post by spakuloid » Sun May 11, 2008 2:55 pm

I am trying to understand why the H4 will not fast forward or rewind when listening to playback. I am recording long sets while my band is playing (45 mins) and want to FF through it afterwards to hear certain parts and check levels etc... For some reason it appears that this is not possible on the H4. The Fast forward jog is slower than listening to real time playback. Is this a common issue? Is there a workaround in the field - besides dumping the files to a computer and editing them.

Thanks.
0 x
- Spak

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Sun May 11, 2008 4:17 pm

Are you in WAV or MP3 format...

WAV should be easy as it is a linear format... MP3 requires decoding from the beginning to find locations (well, moving forward should only require decoding from the current point to destination -- moving backwards may require jumping to the beginning; I'm not that familiar with MP3 to know if it does frames -- maybe chunks of 4kbyte can be jumped without decoding the intervening).
0 x

spakuloid
new to this board
new to this board

Post by spakuloid » Sun May 11, 2008 5:54 pm

Wulfraed wrote:Are you in WAV or MP3 format...

WAV should be easy as it is a linear format... MP3 requires decoding from the beginning to find locations (well, moving forward should only require decoding from the current point to destination -- moving backwards may require jumping to the beginning; I'm not that familiar with MP3 to know if it does frames -- maybe chunks of 4kbyte can be jumped without decoding the intervening).

yeah - I am in MP3 320kbyte mode - which gives great results on the audio side. What would be the best WAV setting for the length of times that I need to record (3-4 x 45 min sets) on a 4 GB card? Or maybe just use multiple cards?
0 x
- Spak

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Sun May 11, 2008 7:40 pm

On average, a CD-grade stereo (16-bit/44.1kHz, stereo) runs about 650MB/hour... (That's basically the format on a commercial CD; 16/48 is standard definition DV)

A 4GB card should easily hold four hours worth.

Page 86 of the manual:
Recording time
2GB Approx. 190 minutes (converted to WAV 44.1kHz/16bit stereo track)
Approx. 34 hours (converted to MP3 44.1kHz/128kbps stereo track)
* Recording times are approximations. Actual times may differ according to recording conditions.
The H2 manual gives:
Recording time
4GB (SDHC)
Approx. 380 minutes (converted to WAV 44.1kHz/16bit stereo track)
Approx. 68 hours (converted to MP3 44.1kHz/128kbps stereo track)
* Recording times are approximations. Actual times may differ according to recording conditions.

Maximum recording file size
2 GB
0 x

spakuloid
new to this board
new to this board

Post by spakuloid » Sun May 11, 2008 7:44 pm

I'll give it a whirl - I was just wondering why - for instance - on an ipod - you can easily scroll through the tune, movie, whatever - with ease - whether it is mp3 or aac or mp4, but on the H4 there is no similar function.

I will try the "jump to" function - which I just read in the manual and see if that works with MP3's.
0 x
- Spak

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Mon May 12, 2008 1:31 pm

spakuloid wrote:I'll give it a whirl - I was just wondering why - for instance - on an ipod - you can easily scroll through the tune, movie, whatever - with ease - whether it is mp3 or aac or mp4, but on the H4 there is no similar function.
Possibly a faster processor or dedicated hardware assist for decoding. Even on my computer (3.4GHz P4ht) I notice a distinct, though short, pause between moving a position slider and the start of audio playback...
0 x

The Absolute Beginner

Post by The Absolute Beginner » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:48 pm

This is actually quite a downside of the H4, whether it's MP3 or WAV, it DOESN'T matter. The simple answer is: you CANNOT fast-forward (or else, it goes DAMN slow...)!

BUT you can ADJUST THE TIME. In order to do that, move the wheel until it highlights either hour, minute or second, press once and move the wheel to change the time. The problem: you won't know exactly where you're at in the file, but try several times and it should work.

Cheers,
Julian.
0 x

forgetfuljones
new to this board
new to this board

Re: H4 Fast Forward & Rewind issue

Post by forgetfuljones » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:07 am

Update to my question below. After years of using the device on and off (I prefer my R24 for most stuff), I finally figured out that you can just click twice on Rewind and it returns to the beginning! What a nice (and long overdue) epiphany! It would be nice if the manual stated that somewhere.

---------------------------
This sounds like a great option but, when I click on the wheel, it takes me into Stereo Bounce. How does a person get the wheel to point to hours minutes or seconds?

And is there no quick and simple way to just jump back to the beginning after having recorded a track? I'm getting sore fingers from holding that dumb little button down for long periods of time to rewind back to the beginning.

Someone mentioned a "Jump To" feature, but my manual doesn't even have anything listed in the index under 'J'.
0 x