zoom h4 will no longer complete boot process

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
dnygnius
new to this board
new to this board

Re: zoom h4 will no longer complete boot process

Post by dnygnius » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:57 am

Thank you for your reply.
1 x

potsy webber
new to this board
new to this board

Post by potsy webber » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:44 am

Hi there jeffg and dnygnius,

Old post I know, but just in case you still have the H4 in your bottom draw I thought I'd let you know I had exactly the same problem and solved it. It was annoyingly simple - after a lot of mucking around I got a new SDHD card. I have used my zoom for years with a 2GB SD card, a 4GB SDHD and an 8GB SDHD card and yesterday the H4 decided it would not boot past the "Now Loading... Zoom" screen. Still didn't work this morning. Then I put in a new SDHD card and it worked.

I had also used my old cards in my cameras - my theory is that the zoom didn't like something that gets installed on the card in that process.

Maybe it's too late to be any use to you. And, although I don't think so, maybe it's just a coincidence that it started working when I put a new card in. But I have found the zoom to be a very useful little beastie so I thought it was worth posting!

Cheers,
Potsy
1 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:17 am

potsy webber wrote: I had also used my old cards in my cameras - my theory is that the zoom didn't like something that gets installed on the card in that process.
Which is one reason it is recommended that you format the cards in the device that will be using them

Minor differences in how a device handles the FAT, etc. may cause problems (not to mention fragmentation issues from mixing file types).

BTW: it is SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity; the latest generation is XC -- "extreme/extra high" capacity)
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Tahitibob57
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Tahitibob57 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:38 pm

I have the same problem. The sd card is necessary to start the zoom?? With or without card it block on the start screen with zoom and version...help!!!
1 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:49 pm

You may want to try upgrading the firmware. The latest H4 firmware is V2.4. The maximum memory size the original H4 could use is 2 GB. A firmware update increases the maximum memory capacity to the SDHC standard of 4 GB. You have verified the sd card reader and usb port are good by being able to see the H4 on a pc.

Step by step firmware update instructions are available on pages 84 and 85 of the H4 operator's manual. The manual, manual addendum and firmware are available at Zoom's website: https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field- ... #downloads.

Are you sure you have the H4? There is also a H4n (I think) and H4n Pro in addition to the original H4.

May I suggest using the smallest memory capacity SD card you have.

I have a Zoom MRS-8 which is limited to using a SD card with a maximum memory capacity of 1 GB. When the MRS-8 was more popular many people used a 2 GB card. The recorder APPEARED to work but since there was more memory than the MRS-8 knows how to use, the files would become corrupt over time. People would get really mad because it appeared to work until it didn't. Motto of the story, it's easy to get things wrong without realizing it.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:39 am

Jim_Fogle wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:49 pm
You may want to try upgrading the firmware. The latest H4 firmware is V2.4. The maximum memory size the original H4 could use is 2 GB. A firmware update increases the maximum memory capacity to the SDHC standard of 4 GB. You have verified the sd card reader and usb port are good by being able to see the H4 on a pc.
Ouch... I'd missed that factor but the PDF spec does state 2GB SD...

Note that 4GB is the MINIMUM size for an SDHC and may still be hard to find these days; they go up to 32GB, with SDXC starting at 64GB. If the firmware update does allow 4GB cards, it likely means all it did was change from signed 32-bit integer to unsigned 32-bit integer.

Performing a software upgrade probably requires using a 2GB SD card; the bootloader probably can't read SDHC file systems.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards