Help with Zoom H2n files

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
MorneAndrews
new to this board
new to this board

Help with Zoom H2n files

Post by MorneAndrews » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:01 pm

Hi Guys.

Please excuse my ignorance, I am brand new to spatial audio recordings and VR video productions. We have a zoom h2n and recorded a concert prior to new firmware version 2.00 with the spatial recording option. I have two files, MS and XY. Is there a way to convert this to the new spatial audio format ready to use in a VR production? Alternatively a way to convert it to B-Format?

What I want to achieve is to move the recorded audio "horizontally" until it matches our scene (what the viewer will see for the first time) and then export it ready for facebook & Youtube (spatial audio enabled)

I will appreciate any help.

Editing with Premiere Pro and we also have Reaper installed with FB Spatial Workstation (Not we fully understand it yet).
0 x

Toyguitar

Re: Help with Zoom H2n files

Post by Toyguitar » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:41 am

I just stumbled on the H2n spatial audio firmware update yesterday myself. I did a cursory search for a converter and came up with nothing. So I'm wondering if you have the ability to play those two files back simultaneously and re-record with the spacial audio format option. Maybe use two stereos with the H2n in the center of 4 speakers. You'd probably lose some fidelity, but it might do in a pinch.
0 x

Skaven252
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Help with Zoom H2n files

Post by Skaven252 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:03 am

I had some attempts at this some days ago. What I did is not the mathematically correct way to do it, but it gives a pretty acceptable result. I used Reaper and the Ambisonic Toolkit, plus a free Mid/Side plugin called the Voxengo MSED (other such plugins are also available).

Basically I did this: I mapped the MS+XY into 5.1 surround, then decoded that into 1st order B-format (aka Spatial Audio).

For the MS, I put the Mid into the 5.1 Center channel (Side signal muted with MSED), and the Side signal (with Mid muted with MSED) to the Left and Right channels. The Left and Right are thus actually receiving an inverse signal to each other, which is akin to the principles of ambisonics. Sort of.

The XY I routed to the surround/rear left and right channels.

Then I add an Ambisonic Toolkit decoder that decodes 5.1 into B-format, followed by a "Decode B to AmbiX" plugin that matches the channel order with what's compatible with YouTube, etc.

If you have Reaper, I can send you a project you can use to convert your recordings. It's not 100% the same result as what Firmware 2.0 does with the H2n's recordings, but I found the result to sound quite good in my Samsung VR videos.
0 x