How record seperate tracks? (H5 + SSH-6)

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
troelsk
new to this board
new to this board

How record seperate tracks? (H5 + SSH-6)

Post by troelsk » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:34 am

Hi everyone.

I recently bought a Zoom H5 as well as an SSH-6 microphone to be used for reporting. With this setup I would like to record on seperate tracks / files: a) an interview with the shotgun mic and b) background sounds with the side mics. However, I can only manage to create a single wav-file.

When I ask the Zoom support people, they tell me "To record separate files for each input, go to MENU > REC MODE > select MULTI FILE" - which I have already done. It doesn't seem to make a difference. I still only get a single .wav.

Can anyone help with this? How do I setup my recorder to save the input in two different files when using the SSH-6?

Thanks so much.
0 x
--
Equipment: Zoom H5 + SSH-6 + H1 backup

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: How record seperate tracks? (H5 + SSH-6)

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:29 am

Short answer: You likely don't.

Longer answer: The plug-in modules with only one gain knob (if not all plug-in modules -- since it may be tied to the connector input circuit) tend to produce a two-channel stereo file. In M/S mode, those channels are the mid and side rather than left and right. M/S allows for after-recording adjustment of the stereo width by adjusting the relative strength of the S channel and matrixing the result into L/R stereo (M+S, M-S) (or splitting using computer software).

That said... Page 23 of the manual implies that "combo type input capsules" can have the stereo link broken when in multi-file mode. Don't know if the SSH qualifies as a "combo type" -- I think they mean only the EXH-6 with XLR/TRS jacks, and TWO gain knobs, can be split.
2 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

troelsk
new to this board
new to this board

Post by troelsk » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:33 pm

Thank you, Wulfraed. I think you're right - I can produce a file with mid mic on left track and side mic on right track, and then separate the two when editing.

Thanks again for your help
1 x
--
Equipment: Zoom H5 + SSH-6 + H1 backup

Loki2020
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Loki2020 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:44 am

Wulfraed wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:29 am
That said... Page 23 of the manual implies that "combo type input capsules" can have the stereo link broken when in multi-file mode. Don't know if the SSH qualifies as a "combo type" -- I think they mean only the EXH-6 with XLR/TRS jacks, and TWO gain knobs, can be split.
If I broke the link it will create one file for the L channel and another for the R channel ?
0 x

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:09 pm

Loki2020 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:44 am
Wulfraed wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:29 am
If I broke the link it will create one file for the L channel and another for the R channel ?
These should behave the way the XLR/jack inputs 1 and 2 behave. If linked, you get a stereo file. If not linked you get two mono files. Once you record something you can't really convert the file from stereo to two monos as far as I know. You can downmix the two monos to stereo and save it within the same project in the multi area, and then edit the project in mixer overdub mode to link the two outputs and select the new stereo file to associate with them within the project.

I'm thinking I might get the XLR input capsule just so that I can get true four track functionality rather than the current 2 stereos or 1 stereo and 2 monos in multifile mode.
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Post by still_fiddlin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:45 pm

The shotgun mic attachment doesn't actually produce a stereo signal, as I understand it. I have the XLR attachment and an NTG1 and it works well with my H6. Note, you cannot use condenser mics (like the NTG1) with the XLR attachment - only dynamics, as there is no phantom power for those inputs.
0 x

Loki2020
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Loki2020 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:16 am

Thanks for the information.
0 x