Zoom H4N pro edit stereo recording

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Ragnar
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom H4N pro edit stereo recording

Post by Ragnar » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:09 am

All I want to do is record/erase part of an interview recorded in MP3 Stereo. How to do that?

If I want ability to edit recordings is MTR a better mode?

I do qualitative interviews for research.

Thanks.
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: Zoom H4N pro edit stereo recording

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:00 pm

In my mind, at least, MP3 is the worst format for anything that will be edited -- as to get to any point in the file it has to decode all the previous data... And changes mean re-encoding anything from the change to the end of the file.

For editing, WAV format is almost de rigueur -- since all samples are the same size, moving to any location in the file is a simple process of advancing the number of samples needed for the time point offset.

None of the H-series field recorders are optimized for "recording over" stuff (and even the R-series are limited in editing compared to the HD-series: where one can cut&paste parts of tracks into other tracks; the R24 sequencer would allow making a sequence play part of a track, then switch to a separate track having newer information).
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to learn to play an instrument

dchurch
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Zoom H4N pro edit stereo recording

Post by dchurch » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:20 am

Hi I’m a new owner of aH4N Pro myself.

All I want to do is record/erase part of an interview recorded in MP3 Stereo. How to do that?

I assume you are not familiar with specific audio software for performing these tasks. You can download and use free open source software such as Audacity. It is very popular with plenty of helpful users. You can simply open your Mp3 file in the Audacity timeline, find the portion of audio you would like to erase, highlight and delete it. I believe the default settings will simply shorten the track (not leave a portion of silence). If you plan to do other editing I highly recommend using Audacity or a commercial audio editing software. Any will allow basic cutting, erasing, splitting or rearranging your audio recordings. Most will also let you filter out problem noise and enhance voices... Some will allow you to speed up or slow down all or part of your interview without changing the pitch (tone) of the voices.

I do qualitative interviews for research.

I assume your interviews are one on one Q and A sessions. Unless it’s a format requirement for further use, the only advantage to recording MP3 files is reduction in size. Without getting technical the reduction could be 10 times smaller with acceptable quality for something like a simple record of an interview. It’s up to you, but you may want to run some record/playback tests using WAV and MP3 then compare file sizes… With today’s cost of memory recording good quality WAV files (44.1 kHz @ 16 bits) seem like a bargain to me. Also if you record and edit in high quality WAV you can always create a compressed MP3, but you can't up grade an MP3 to high quality WAV.

If I want ability to edit recordings is MTR a better mode?

MTR mode will not help if you are simply recording from the built in mics because each channel will pick up every noise in the room.

But yes, MTR mode would be much better for editing if you record from separate mics for the interviewer and the interviewee. Lavalier (lapel) microphones works well for this. They will do a better job of picking up just the voice of each speaker.

By recording each speaker on his or her own track you will be able to set the record level for quiet or loud talkers and edit the tracks separately after the recording session.

For details about setting up the H4N Pro for MTR check out page #53… of your Zoom manual.
0 x