H2n stopped recording?

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Riothouse
new to this board
new to this board

H2n stopped recording?

Post by Riothouse » Thu May 25, 2017 11:14 pm

Hi, Ive had my h2n for 3 years and its been great. However a couple of days ago while recording the sound completely dropped out (on playback it recorded for about one minute then silence). When not recording the mic levels are registering but does record even though a wave has been created. When I try to playback it says invalid file? Anyone encountered this before and come up with a solution?
Many thanks in advance Riot.
0 x

emmrecs
dues paid
dues paid

Re: H2n stopped recording?

Post by emmrecs » Fri May 26, 2017 4:25 am

Hi.

No, I've never met this problem but my immediate suspicion of the cause would be your SD card. Do you have another card you could use to create a "test" recording (to ensure there is nothing wrong with the H2n)? Once you have verified that the recorder is not the problem you need to check the original card. Assuming you have copied from it any files that you need to keep, I would format it completely in the H2n. You would then need to test it by creating a recording and seeing if the problem resurfaces.

The process is going to be time-consuming!

There is a utility which can be downloaded for free called h2testw which, if you have a card reader which you can connect to your computer (and the SD card is blank - important because anything on the card will be overwritten) this app will test-write to your card - it takes a LONG time - and at the end will report to you on the condition/capacity of the card. It's available at http://www.download3k.com/Install-H2testw.html

HTH
0 x
Zoom H2 and H2n. Adobe Audition CS6. Reaper (TM).

Riothouse
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Riothouse » Fri May 26, 2017 7:45 am

Thanks Emmrecs, i was thinking it maybe the SD card. I will get a new one tomorrow and let you know how i go.
0 x

Riothouse
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Riothouse » Sat May 27, 2017 7:00 am

The SD card seems to have been the culprit. A new SD card and everything is back to normal with my H2n! Thanks again Emmrecs for your help
0 x

emmrecs
dues paid
dues paid

Post by emmrecs » Sat May 27, 2017 9:15 am

Hi again.

Thanks for the update; glad you're fully operational again.
0 x
Zoom H2 and H2n. Adobe Audition CS6. Reaper (TM).