SGH vs SSH

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Aquilasfx
new to this board
new to this board

SGH vs SSH

Post by Aquilasfx » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:45 am

I'd like to buy one of this mic for interviews, do u think is better to invest money on ssh stereo than sgh (mono)? I found on internet that I can disable or attenuate side mic so, ssh is then the same as sgh version. Any suggestions?
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: SGH vs SSH

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:14 pm

Aquilasfx wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:45 am
I'd like to buy one of this mic for interviews, do u think is better to invest money on ssh stereo than sgh (mono)? I found on internet that I can disable or attenuate side mic so, ssh is then the same as sgh version. Any suggestions?
Similar, but not "same" -- though if one can trust the scale factor on the web site, they did extend the length of the SSH to give approximately the same "shotgun" on the mid element. However, the interference slots are cut differently which may have a subtle effect on frequency response (this is a drawback to shotgun microphones -- the spacing of the slits affects off-center cancellation differently based on angle and frequency).

I'd probably go with the SSH... But if most of your recording is in MTR mode, using mono tracks, the cost of the SSH is likely not justified.

Note that for interviews, if you have more than one speaking person, you will have to be flipping the aim back and forth between the two -- and that could play hobb with input levels. If the recorder (you didn't specify) has XLR inputs, you might find using a set of external XLR microphones better suited.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards