Possible to turn off amp on the H6?

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Fellen2.5
new to this board
new to this board

Possible to turn off amp on the H6?

Post by Fellen2.5 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:28 am

Hello!

I have a question about my H6. I'm going to record some nature sound with a Neumann KU 100 microphone. I have a sound device (MixPre) connected to it and my H6. But the sound has some small buzz, so I wonder if anyone here knows if it possible to turn off the amp when you record through line?
Or if you have any other idea how I can make the noise less.

I would so appreciate the help!

All the best,
Amanda
0 x

still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Re: Possible to turn off amp on the H6?

Post by still_fiddlin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:31 am

Where's all the power coming from for the Zoom and MixPre?

Does the Neumann really need the Sound Devices or can you go direct to the Zoom?
0 x

Fellen2.5
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Fellen2.5 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:47 pm

The power comes from battery in the Mixpre and the zoom. I can put batteries in the Neumann also but have chosen to use the phantom on the Mixpre instead.

When I connect the Neumann directly to the zoom there is a light buzz, that's why I try to find other solutions. A friend told me that it would work better with the MixPre so the zoom just recorded in line, and not with the mic, but then I need to find away to turn of the amp, and I'm not sure that's possible!
0 x

still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Post by still_fiddlin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:47 pm

I'm not sure what "amp" you are referring to, but it looks like the MixPre has a switch to set the output to mic or line. Have you tried both settings, and changing the pad slider on the H6 to see if that makes a difference?

If you had a buzz with and without the MixPre, it doesn't seem like it's making things better, and it's certainly not making them simpler at this point. I'd be tempted to just keep working without it until you isolate the problem.

I assume you confirmed there is no buzz when you listen with headphones plugged into the MixPre, right? And, then take those same XLR cables and go to the H6 and you hear the buzz? Can you post an audio file of it?

My H6 is pretty dead silent. The mic preamps in those things are actually not bad, and I use it in places with old wiring and lots of fluorescent lights! (The H6 is always running off a USB charger pack.)
0 x

Kites
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Kites » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:30 am

To bypass the preamps run balanced xlr outs from Mixpre to trs 1/4" phone plug to your H6. I do this with my Mixpre and H5 and my input levels on the H5 only have to be around 2-3. Make sure your cable are balanced and make sure the tape return switch is set to RTN on your mix pre. Also Zoom's headphone amps are pretty noisy, so I'll send the line out back to the Mixpre. Not only can you get cleaner gain, but find that freq range opens up a bit and it definitely helps low output mics too. So jealous of your Neumann KU 100s! Would love to hear samples.

Check this: www.danmccomb.com/connecting-zoom-h4n-t ... e-part-ii/

Peace
0 x