Nothing happens when I hit record on H5

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
lanewrightme
new to this board
new to this board

Nothing happens when I hit record on H5

Post by lanewrightme » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:50 pm

This is probably one of those simple solutions, but after several days of trying, I still haven't figured it out. I've searched this forum, YouTube, the owner's manual. No luck.

I'm trying to use the H5 for podcasting over Skype. I have a co-host in another city with the same gear, same setup, and same problems. We want to have the audio from the skype interview (so from my computer, on my end) and the audio from my mic coming into the H5 where I can record it. I also need the audio coming from my Rode procaster mic to connect through the computer so Skype can use it. But when I'm all plugged in, I hit record and nothing happens.

Here's what I'm doing:
Set up
  • Zoom H5 is off.
    I plug in my Rode procaster mic into line 1.
    I plug the 1/4 to 1/8 into the H5's line 2, and connect to my MacBook Pro's headphone jack (though I've tried without this step just to see if I could record a mic and I get the same result).
    I plug in the usb to my computer.
    The SD card is inserted.
Power ON
  • I turn on the power.
    I'm automatically taken to the USB setup menu.
    I select "Audio Interface" instead of "SD card reader"
    Then I select "Stereo" (though I've tried with "Multi Track" and got the same results)
    Then I select "PC/Mac (Bus Powered)"
Preparing to Record
  • At this point, I make sure my lines are selected, 1 and 2. The red lights are on.
    I test my levels in the mic. The bars move, but I get suspicious that something is wrong at this point. Instead of seeing four tracks (L/R and 1/2) I just see L/R tracks. But the levels move on the L track when I speak into the Line 1 mic. I'm careful to make sure it's the line 1 mic and not the mic at the top of the H5.
    Then I press record, and nothing happens.
What am I doing wrong?
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: Nothing happens when I hit record on H5

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:12 am

lanewrightme wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:50 pm
I'm trying to use the H5 for podcasting over Skype. I have a co-host in another city with the same gear, same setup, and same problems. We want to have the audio from the skype interview (so from my computer, on my end) and the audio from my mic coming into the H5 where I can record it. I also need the audio coming from my Rode procaster mic to connect through the computer so Skype can use it. But when I'm all plugged in, I hit record and nothing happens.
To the best of my knowledge, when the device is in Audio Interface mode, you can not /record/ audio. In audio interface mode, the device acts as a rudimentary sound-card -- that is; analog to digital conversion on inputs to USB, and digital to analog conversion on outputs from USB. The SD card recording functions are bypassed.
I plug the 1/4 to 1/8 into the H5's line 2, and connect to my MacBook Pro's headphone jack (though I've tried without this step just to see if I could record a mic and I get the same result).
Just a point: I suspect the headphone jack is a TRS STEREO-- but the H5 input is balanced MONO. If you plug a stereo TRS into balanced TRS the result will be cancellation of the center. Balanced expects a +S, -S, and ground, and internally subtracts the -S from the +S (giving a 2S signal level). Noise on the line will tend to be in the same direction, so when subtracted cancels. However, anything on a stereo signal that is common to both left/right will also look like noise (so the closer to center the source is, the more it cancels out), leaving only the part of the signal that is mostly only on one side or the other.
Preparing to Record
  • At this point, I make sure my lines are selected, 1 and 2. The red lights are on.
    I test my levels in the mic. The bars move, but I get suspicious that something is wrong at this point. Instead of seeing four tracks (L/R and 1/2) I just see L/R tracks. But the levels move on the L track when I speak into the Line 1 mic. I'm careful to make sure it's the line 1 mic and not the mic at the top of the H5.
    Then I press record, and nothing happens.
What am I doing wrong?

You'll only see four track meters in the multichannel mode -- but I can't explain why Stereo mode responds to the 1/2 (at least, I haven't seen anything in the manual yet; maybe it automatically merges the X/Y and 1/2 into a single stereo signal... Or, if you had to "arm" 1/2 assumes they are used instead of the X/Y). {Addendum: page 22 implies that L/R or 1/2 are selectable}

However, as I stated in the beginning -- I do not believe one can use the H5 /record/ function at the same time as the audio interface. The closest appears to be page 77 of the manual (Loop Back). And in that general section, it looks like the record start/stop button is used to toggle the Direct Monitor mix levels on/off. (Page 76 #7)

In Loop Back, you feed the the computer output (Skype?) /through/ the H5 where it is mixed with the microphone input and then /returned/ to the computer -- you would have to be running some audio capture/edit software ON THE COMPUTER to record the mixed return signal from the H5.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

lanewrightme
new to this board
new to this board

Post by lanewrightme » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:49 pm

Thanks Wulfraed,
You may be right. Maybe the H5 simply can't do the job I need. Which is weird because people are doing it with the H4n http://thepodcastersstudio.com/recordin ... -software/ and the H6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frs-AP4MWIY

I don't know why Zoom would nix that feature in the H5.

I guess I'll just have to return the 5 and get the 6.

(sigh)
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:27 am

lanewrightme wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:49 pm
Thanks Wulfraed,
You may be right. Maybe the H5 simply can't do the job I need. Which is weird because people are doing it with the H4n http://thepodcastersstudio.com/recordin ... -software/ and the H6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frs-AP4MWIY

I don't know why Zoom would nix that feature in the H5.

I guess I'll just have to return the 5 and get the 6.

Download the PDF manual first, and study it... I didn't see anything in the H6 manual that implies anything different -- it too has the Loop Back operation mode where the USB and microphone data is mixed and /sent back to the computer/. No indication that audio interface can record on the device.

Note that the video in your H6 link is NOT USING AUDIO INTERFACE MODE. They are feeding the computer (Skype?) audio through the computer HEADPHONE jack to the a microphone/line-in jack on the recorder, and recording the podcast "off-line". AFTER the recording is done, they are moving the recording to the computer for post-processing/streaming; it is NOT a live podcast. I didn't go in long enough to see how they handle live interaction, but the recorder itself is not it.

The other article, again, is NOT using audio interface mode -- the recorder is just used to record the audio with the recording to be used later. The first example is using a specialized microphone that has BOTH XLR AND USB outputs. They are feeding the XLR to the recorder (along with using headphone/line-out jack from the computer to the other channel of the recorder). To get audio back to the computer/Skype they are using the USB output from the microphone. The second example is even simpler -- they are using two microphones: a good microphone feeding the recorder, and any trash microphone (ie; the built-in microphone of a laptop, say, or a cheap unit plugged into the mic/line-in of the computer) to get your voice into the outgoing Skype. The idea is that the person on the other end just needs to hear you clearly enough to respond to interview questions, but doesn't need studio quality.
Website wrote:Simply use your computer’s built-in microphone to communicate with your guest on Skype. They won’t receive the same high quality audio you’ll get when using a USB connected microphone but in most cases they will never know the difference.
This type of connection -- using the recorder "off-line" and NOT in audio interface mode -- is doable with the H5 (though I do recommend you use a Stereo TRS to (unbalanced) Mono TS adapter/cable to feed the computer headphone/line-out [line-out would be better if you have one, fixed output level vs headphone variable volume] to 1/4" jack of the H5. You will need to have a second microphone on the computer to transmit your side of the conversation.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

lanewrightme
new to this board
new to this board

Post by lanewrightme » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Thank you so much, Wulfraed.
Once I stopped trying to use my USB cable, and the audio interface setting, and once I picked up a 1/8 TRS (stereo) to 1/4 TS (mono), I'm in business!
I went from :x to :music: :clap:

I'm okay with the person on the other end of my skype call not hearing the higher-end mic's audio, because the recording on the H5 will have it, along with their sound. Now I can avoid recording from the computer using Skype software which I've heard will crash from time to time.

Thanks again!
0 x