External battery / power bank for the H5 with "clean DC" output

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
TrgoH5
new to this board
new to this board

External battery / power bank for the H5 with "clean DC" output

Post by TrgoH5 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:09 pm

Does anyone have experience with an external battery/power bank that has "clean DC" output?
The two internal AA batteries do not last long enough for my extended recordings using external microphones that require phantom power. When I use an AC adapter that provides 5V DC through the USB cable the recordings are clean. When I use an Anker PowerCore 10000mAh to power my H5 the recording has random soft clicks. I examined the audio file with a wave form editor and could see small jagged distortions that must have been caused by the electronics in the Anker power source not providing constant DC.
I’d appreciate any recommendations of an external battery/power bank that has "clean DC" output. Thanks
0 x

Denis247
new to this board
new to this board

Re: External battery / power bank for the H5 with "clean DC" output

Post by Denis247 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:17 pm

I use Anker Powercore 15600's with both my H6's, and haven't noticed any noise. Could it be your particular battery pack has a fault?
0 x

TrgoH5
new to this board
new to this board

Post by TrgoH5 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:19 pm

That's possible and I'll check with them but since it works fine for cell phone charge and/or power I don't expect Anker will send a replacement to try out.
Do you remove the internal batteries so there is nothing that the Anker unit can try to "Charge"?
0 x

still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Post by still_fiddlin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:45 pm

Denis247 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:17 pm
I use Anker Powercore 15600's with both my H6's, and haven't noticed any noise. ...
Same here with my one H6.

It's a battery pack so I don't see why/how there'd be any kind of noise generated from it. The USB port is looking for 5v DC and that's what it's getting. Any noise must be from the cable or something internal to the Zoom.
TrgoH5 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:19 pm
Do you remove the internal batteries so there is nothing that the Anker unit can try to "Charge"?
Your question about having batteries in may be worth testing. I never have batteries in my H6. (Don't know about Denis)
0 x

Denis247
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Denis247 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:00 am

TrgoH5 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:19 pm
That's possible and I'll check with them but since it works fine for cell phone charge and/or power I don't expect Anker will send a replacement to try out.
I usually leave rechargeable batteries (eneloops) in the H6's, and hot plugging the battery pack whilst recording is seamless, there's auto swicthover between the internal and external battery pack, so if the lead gets pulled out while recording it won't affect anything.

Re the poster enquiring as to why there should be noise (sorry, I can't scroll back up to get your name while compiling this response), the battery packs have voltage convertors, I imaging the internal battery of the Anker is 3.7v, so it has to be boosted and then regulated to give the 5v, and it's these electronics that can sometimes give trouble.
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:43 am

Denis247 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:00 am
Re the poster enquiring as to why there should be noise (sorry, I can't scroll back up to get your name while compiling this
Don't scroll up... Scroll down.

Below the edit window of a reply will be a separately scrollable, reverse-ordered, list of previous messages in the thread.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Denis247
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Denis247 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:09 am

Wulfraed wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:43 am
Denis247 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:00 am
Re the poster enquiring as to why there should be noise (sorry, I can't scroll back up to get your name while compiling this
Don't scroll up... Scroll down.

Below the edit window of a reply will be a separately scrollable, reverse-ordered, list of previous messages in the thread.
Cheers, I'll remember that.
0 x

TrgoH5
new to this board
new to this board

Post by TrgoH5 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:11 am

I spoke to tech support at Gomadic and they said they use electronic circuits to regulate the output of their devices to 5 VDC. They say they have a history of powering Zoom devices without getting reports of causing audio "glitches".
http://www.gomadic.com/zoom-h5-handy-re ... arger.html
http://www.gomadic.com/zoom-h5-handy-re ... ender.html

I plan to get one or both of their units and will report back on how they perform.
0 x