Any way to create 2 stereo files using the 2 xlr inputs?

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
elmerlang

Post by elmerlang » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi

I use MTR mode and maybe kinda stupid and slow messing around with techy things.
WHen I try I can link 1 & 2 and 3 & 4, but can only record apparently using one or the other input.
I was trying to record a lav and regualr mike at same time and wind up with stereo files for both.

Anybody know?

best
elmer
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: Any way to create 2 stereo files using the 2 xlr inputs?

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:15 pm

Since each XLR is a mono input, it requires using both XLRs to create one true stereo file. Anything else would mean storing the EXACT SAME DATA as left and right in a stereo file -- IE, using twice the memory for the same data as a mono file.

So -- the real question would be: what /problem/ are you trying to solve that isn't answered by recording a pair of independent MONO files?

Oh, BTW: Which device? H4(n [Pro]), H5, H6

{H5 manual page 19; H6 manual page 10}
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:00 am

Hi Elmer,

from my H5 use, I'd say you can record in multifile mode, get your two mono files associated with inputs 1 and 2. Then you go into the mixer-overdub menu of the project, in mixer overdub choose channel 1 and choose file none. Now the project should only play channel 2, make sure it is centre panned and do mixdown. I'm not 100% sure but I think at this point it will produce a stereo file (I have never done this with only a single mono file in the project, only when actually attempting a mixdown of several files). Then go back to mixer overdub, choose the correct file for channel 1 and choose none for channel 2. Again do mixdown and you should get another stereo file for channel 1.
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

elmerlang

Post by elmerlang » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:47 pm

Hi
Interesting method, greenA2, thanks for posting.
I'm editing film so I can pan the mono, or export them as stereo.
The reason for stereo files is panning in film editing can be problematic depending on use of other elements.
Thanks again.
L mr
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:47 pm

Actual "film", or digital video?

If the latter, what NLE software are you using? The (former Sony) Vegas Pro software started life as an audio editor that gained video capability, and is now video editing software with a very comprehensive audio capability -- and has no problems with panning mono files (heck, with enough mono files one can create/encode 5 channel surround sound).
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards