How to connect 3.5mm Stereo Roland cs-10em binaural mic to Zoom H6???

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
lockscombi
new to this board
new to this board

How to connect 3.5mm Stereo Roland cs-10em binaural mic to Zoom H6???

Post by lockscombi » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:13 am

Hey guys

This issue driving me mental

I recently bought the Roland CS-10em Binaural microphones and have no idea how to plug it in the zoom!

There is no 3.5mm connection. I tried using a 3.5mm to 1/4 XLR adapter but to no avail

I even tried going into my Mix Pre D then into Zoom H6 using same adapter but the sound was Horrendous! Extremely toppy as if it had a low cut upto 200hz

I have been looking for 3.5mm stereo to 1/4 TRS to no avail

Any help is greatly appreciated.
0 x

Fran Guidry
Jedi
Jedi

Re: How to connect 3.5mm Stereo Roland cs-10em binaural mic to Zoom H6???

Post by Fran Guidry » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:35 am

There's a 3.5mm jack on the XLR mic attachment.

Fran
0 x

lockscombi
new to this board
new to this board

Post by lockscombi » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:59 am

Hi Fran

Unfortunately the x/y mic failed and i threw it out. Is my only option to buy another one?

I would much rather get some sort of adapter to plug in the 1st XLR input but have no idea which one.

It's stating to look like i need a completely separate 10v plug in power device before i feed it in the zoom H6

If that's the case that's cool but if anybody has done this i could use some help :)
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:17 am

lockscombi wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:59 am
I would much rather get some sort of adapter to plug in the 1st XLR input but have no idea which one.

It's stating to look like i need a completely separate 10v plug in power device before i feed it in the zoom H6
Point 1: "binaural" implies STEREO. XLR inputs are MONO. You need to connect to BOTH XLRs after splitting the TRS stereo into a pair of TS mono.

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YMP-434-Ste ... 1FDTRSHR5J

Without the splitter, you were connecting a unbalanced TRS to a balanced TRS/XLR -- Since balanced expects a +S and -S signal (internally it sums them as +S - -S => 2S, cancelling out noise) your stereo signal is +SL and +SR (+SL - +SR => anything common to left and right cancels out)

Point 2: obviously, any external plug-in power module needs to be on the TRS end (before the split)
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

lockscombi
new to this board
new to this board

Post by lockscombi » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:09 pm

Thank you so much!

I have ordered the cable post haste. Thank you for the detailed explanation. It makes so much more sense now. I'm a dummy, of course it's a mono input on zoom oops!

Thanks Again :)
0 x

still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Post by still_fiddlin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:26 pm

The XY mic you threw away supplied plug-in power via the 3.5mm jack for a stereo mic like you are trying to use. I'd consider trying to find a used one since that's going to solve both the power source and plug issue.

That Y cable/adapter alone will not supply power, and if you turn on phantom power through an XLR connection I'm guessing (assuming the voltage got to the mics) even the 12V setting might fry your Roland set since they're rated from 2-10V.
0 x