H6 stopped working due to battery acid leakage, cleaned with vinegar, now gets stuck on loading screen when turning on

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Barncore
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: H6 stopped working due to battery acid leakage, cleaned with vinegar, now gets stuck on loading screen when turning

Post by Barncore » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:24 pm

Shit. I just reset the factory settings and now the "stuck on loading screen" problem is happening even when i try to turn it on with the USB cord plugged in as well. So now i can't access any menus anymore.

Interesting thing to note - before i reset factory settings - is that i couldn't actually record when plugged in via USB. I had access to all the menus, could browse everything, but recording wouldn't work. What would happen is: I armed the XY, pushed record, the red lights came on and i could see the signal meters responding to noise near the microphone, but nothing would happen, and then i was seemingly stuck. Everything was armed and i couldn't un-arm it. No timer code moving or anything, no evidence that recording was happening. It would just sit there and no buttons would work (incl menu button). Signal meters still working though. Pushing record button again and again did nothing to un-arm. Only thing to do was turn it off and on again and then i could access menus again.

I don't know if that has any relevance, just thought i'd mention it.
Also it's very possible that maybe i'm not using it properly. I haven't read up on how to use the thing yet after all.

It was after turning it on fresh again that i reset the factory settings and now i'm even more stuck than before. :(

The other thing is that i live in Australia so taking it to a Zoom repair shop is not possible since none exist here (as far as i could tell by googling anyway).

Also a random piece of information i saw while i did have access to the menus is that the software version is 1.0 (1.0 for all 3 things: system version, boot version, subsystem version), for whatever that's worth. (edit: i just updated the firmware to 2.1 to see if it would fix anything. No dice though)
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: H6 stopped working due to battery acid leakage, cleaned with vinegar, now gets stuck on loading screen when turning

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:39 am

Small question: do you know what type of batteries had been in it when the initial leakage occurred? Carbon-zinc batteries would leak actual acid, not an alkali.

My suspicion is still on some fault on the internals were the battery wires connect to the main board.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Post by still_fiddlin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:01 am

Barncore wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:24 pm
...I just reset the factory settings and now the "stuck on loading screen" problem is happening even when i try to turn it on with the USB cord plugged in as well. So now i can't access any menus anymore.

Interesting thing to note - before i reset factory settings - is that i couldn't actually record when plugged in via USB. I had access to all the menus, could browse everything, but recording wouldn't work. What would happen is: I armed the XY, pushed record, the red lights came on and i could see the signal meters responding to noise near the microphone, but nothing would happen, and then i was seemingly stuck. Everything was armed and i couldn't un-arm it. No timer code moving or anything, no evidence that recording was happening. It would just sit there and no buttons would work (incl menu button). Signal meters still working though. Pushing record button again and again did nothing to un-arm. Only thing to do was turn it off and on again and then i could access menus again.

I don't know if that has any relevance, just thought i'd mention it.
Also it's very possible that maybe i'm not using it properly. I haven't read up on how to use the thing yet after all.

It was after turning it on fresh again that i reset the factory settings and now i'm even more stuck than before. :(

The other thing is that i live in Australia so taking it to a Zoom repair shop is not possible since none exist here (as far as i could tell by googling anyway).

Also a random piece of information i saw while i did have access to the menus is that the software version is 1.0 (1.0 for all 3 things: system version, boot version, subsystem version), for whatever that's worth. (edit: i just updated the firmware to 2.1 to see if it would fix anything. No dice though)
I can't tell if it's gone from bad to worse or if it just never actually worked after the initial battery-leakage problem.

Did you try running through all the menu settings with USB power, no batteries and no SD card installed, i.e., is it stuck in the loading with nothing but USB power?

The AU distributor says the local dealers are the support contact for Zoom. You might start there. http://www.dynamicmusic.com.au/find-a-dealer.asp
0 x

Barncore
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Barncore » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:02 am

Wulfraed wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:39 am
Small question: do you know what type of batteries had been in it when the initial leakage occurred? Carbon-zinc batteries would leak actual acid, not an alkali.

My suspicion is still on some fault on the internals were the battery wires connect to the main board.
Hmm good question. I threw them out and don't remember what they were, but i can ask the original owner. I think they were Energizer but not sure.
0 x

Barncore
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Barncore » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:08 am

still_fiddlin wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:01 am
I can't tell if it's gone from bad to worse or if it just never actually worked after the initial battery-leakage problem.

Did you try running through all the menu settings with USB power, no batteries and no SD card installed, i.e., is it stuck in the loading with nothing but USB power?

The AU distributor says the local dealers are the support contact for Zoom. You might start there. http://www.dynamicmusic.com.au/find-a-dealer.asp
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. I did scroll all the way through all the settings with with USB power and no batteries, but the SD card was installed. I was able to access the menu this way. I wasn't able to test if removing the SD card made a difference or not to whether i could scroll through the menu settings.

It gets stuck in loading with nothing but USB power now, yes. Whereas it didn't before.

Thanks for the link!
0 x

still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Post by still_fiddlin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:18 am

Barncore wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:08 am
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. I did scroll all the way through all the settings with with USB power and no batteries, but the SD card was installed. I was able to access the menu this way. I wasn't able to test if removing the SD card made a difference or not to whether i could scroll through the menu settings.

It gets stuck in loading with nothing but USB power now, yes. Whereas it didn't before.

Thanks for the link!
Did you try with different SD cards? Maybe one that was formatted on a PC (i.e., completely empty)?
0 x

Barncore
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Barncore » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:05 pm

still_fiddlin wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:18 am
Barncore wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:08 am

Thanks for the link!
Did you try with different SD cards? Maybe one that was formatted on a PC (i.e., completely empty)?
I didn't try with different SD cards. I only have 1 (the one that came with it). I did however browse the SD through my mac computer (via usb cord from the zoom) and saw the 10 folders and a bunch of recordings from 2014 that were still on the SD card. I was able to listen to the old recordings, so i don't think the SD card is busted.

I also have an SD card reader on my windows laptop and i was able to plug the card in and browse it through PC too. So i don't think it's an issue with the SD card.

I'm pretty sure the original owner is a Linux user too so i don't think the SD card is formatted to a specific OS
0 x

still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Post by still_fiddlin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:43 am

Copy the files off of the SD card if you think you want to save them and then format it anywhere - in the H6 itself would be best, but if I understand where it's at right now it only completes loading without an SD card inerted? That's why I'd want to try a different SD, or at least one different, clean one.
0 x

Barncore
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Barncore » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:55 am

Sorry i must not have been clear. It gets stuck on the loading screen regardless of whether the SD card is inserted or not.

Happy to delete the old files on the SD (i don't need to keep them, in fact i already deleted them) and format it, but honestly i don't think the SD is related to the issue, imo. I could be wrong though
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:25 am

It's a long shot, but have you considered loading the SD card with https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/f ... .10E_0.zip , powering the unit from a wall-wart, and seeing if the start-up attempt to flash the operating system as an update?
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Post by still_fiddlin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:55 am

Barncore wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:55 am
Sorry i must not have been clear. It gets stuck on the loading screen regardless of whether the SD card is inserted or not.

Happy to delete the old files on the SD (i don't need to keep them, in fact i already deleted them) and format it, but honestly i don't think the SD is related to the issue, imo. I could be wrong though
If it doesn't load either way it's probably not the fix, but I'd certainly clean it, copy the firmware (H6SYSTEM.BIN) to the SD card, and then try the firmware update again while running on USB power. I'm suspicious that the previous one didn't complete correctly. If it doesn't boot into the firmware update screen you have a problem, though I'd still give it a try with another SD card. Good luck.

(P.S. I guess that's kind of what @Wulfraed was suggesting.)
Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 11.58.04 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Barncore
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Barncore » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:45 pm

I updated the firmware but it hasn't fixed the problem
0 x

still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Post by still_fiddlin » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:15 am

If it completed the firmware update successfully (you see the "Completed, Please power off" screen), and then still won't boot up without an SD card inserted, and you've given it several minutes, just in case there's some kind of initialization sequence, I'm out of ideas. (I've never updated my firmward on my 6 (?) year-old H6 because it works fine!)
0 x

Barncore
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Barncore » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:27 am

Alright well thanks for the back and forth you guys. Really appreciate it. I'll have to take it to someone to have a look at it
0 x