H5 recording low sound through xlr ports.

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
franco2000
new to this board
new to this board

H5 recording low sound through xlr ports.

Post by franco2000 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:36 pm

I looked and could not find this topic. I've had the model for a year and always use external xlr ports with a lav. Yesterday, the sound that came out of the recorder was low and had tons of static. I checked the mics and they work fine. In fact, if I attach them to the port on the removable I/R internal mics they work fine. I did a factory reset, I checked all of the settings and I contacted Zoom. Nothing worked. I heard these xlr ports are wonky, but not working after one year?!

I don't know if this matters, but I attach the lavs using a 3.5 connector to a 1/4 into the xlr port. It may sound silly, but it's worked fine for almost a year.

Any help would be appreciated before I send it back.

Thanks
0 x

still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Re: H5 recording low sound through xlr ports.

Post by still_fiddlin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:41 pm

Does the lavalier need phantom power? If you did a factory reset, it probably turned phantom power off.

The 3.5mm jack provides power for small condenser mics, so I'm guessing your mics need it.

P.S. Who says the XLR jacks are "wonky?"

P.P.S. The lavalier make/model might help.
0 x

franco2000
new to this board
new to this board

Post by franco2000 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:53 pm

Lav does not need phantom power. Mics used are Audio Techica Omni ATR3350 and Rode videomic. They worked perfectly on the h5 up to a few days ago.

as for my use of wonky, while trying to get this working I read a ton of blogs and one mentioned that the xlr ports were wonky. I do not know from experience.

Thanks
0 x

still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Post by still_fiddlin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:07 pm

Did you try replacing the AT battery and the RØDE 9v? Both fail with XLR?

Did you try a different 3.5mm - XLR 1/4" adapter? Any chance that's changed or broken?

Most obviously, did you try a regular low impedance mic through the XLR ports? If that works, then I'd really be suspicious of whatever adapter you are using. Edit: Obviously, I didn't read closely enough to realize you're going in with a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter. Any chance the PAD is turned on? Can you get a picture of the thing with your lav plugged in, showing the settings while it tries to record some external source?

I'd be curious if the same problem shows up if you plug an MP3 player in with that same adapter, but the PAD turned on (since the headphone level will need it).
0 x