"EXT MIC" input on the back of the ZOOM H4n?

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
petman
new to this board
new to this board

"EXT MIC" input on the back of the ZOOM H4n?

Post by petman » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:54 pm

Hi!

On the back of the ZOOM H4n there is an "EXT MIC" input. This input makes it possible to bypass the built in 2 microphones and use 2 external channels (as the manual says, with plug-in power type microphones) simultaneously. Attached a drawing of the manual and a photo of this input, too.
In this video, they demonstrate the usage of this input:
https://vimeo.com/19134430

The problem is that I cannot use this input! I tried several plug-in power type mikes, but either some noise but mostly silence comes from the input.
Anybody uses this input with success? With what microphone type, model?

Thanks!
petman
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Re: "EXT MIC" input on the back of the ZOOM H4n?

Post by still_fiddlin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:30 pm

What models of microphones did you try (and have you used them with other plug-in power type jacks), and did you set the plug in power option in the menu?
h4npip.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:16 am

I've used the corresponding input on my H5 successfully with a pc headset type microphone, with plug in power.
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

petman
new to this board
new to this board

Post by petman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:38 am

greenA2 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:16 am
I've used the corresponding input on my H5 successfully with a pc headset type microphone, with plug in power.
Thanks, but this is an H4n.
0 x

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:41 pm

I know, I don't have an H4n, I have an H5 and I think the plug in powered mic functionality of the mini jack input is the same, which is why I replied to you. The H5 also allows you to use this minijack in as stereo line in, which I think is not an option on the H4n.
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:47 pm

Would depend on the line-level -- per the H4n manual it IS a stereo input with gain adjustment to handle -7dBm to -47dBm... While the line out jack is consumer -10dBm.

The H5 manual OTOH only specifies gain from -inf to 52dB -- possibly a wider range if one considers the H4n range to be 40dB
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards