H5: same preamp for micros at xlr and 3.5mm?

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
thomas_alemania
new to this board
new to this board

H5: same preamp for micros at xlr and 3.5mm?

Post by thomas_alemania » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:14 am

Hello,

I do wildlife-video and would like to grab as multifile with my H5 a combination of a stereo-mic (for ambience) with a shotgun (for the special animal in video).

I will buy now some micros. At the moment I have not so much so I tried:
- at 3,5 mm: the Edutige ETM-001 (as a combination of 2 with stereocable) and also the Rode VideoMicro
- at XLR: the dynamic micro Shure SM58 (for voice)

As shotgun I think to buy Sennheisser MKE 600.
The question is, whether I will buy for stereo a 3.5 mm or a XLR? I would prefer a 3.5 mm.

BUT: my both 3.5 mm phones make pretty much more self noise as the XLR-Shure.

So do you think this is a matter of the micros or is there a "different internal processing"? Will say, goes the 3.5 mm over the same preamp as the XLR?

Thanks a lot!
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: H5: same preamp for micros at xlr and 3.5mm?

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:14 am

thomas_alemania wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:14 am
I will buy now some micros. At the moment I have not so much so I tried:
- at 3,5 mm: the Edutige ETM-001 (as a combination of 2 with stereocable) and also the Rode VideoMicro
I'm not sure I understand this connection. The ETM-001 is an omni-directional mono element using a TRS connection (meant to feed a common computer/utility stereo jack -- with the same signal on both leads) -- so how you are connecting two of these without interference or affecting the plug-in power load is a mystery.

And how would you place them to produce a stereo field -- as omnidirectional, they don't have the fall-off for angle needed; the best you'd get is time-difference-of-arrival by having them placed a foot or so to each side (a sound on the left will hit the left one a fraction of a second (for 1ft spacing, about 0.9mSec).
- at XLR: the dynamic micro Shure SM58 (for voice)

As shotgun I think to buy Sennheisser MKE 600.
The question is, whether I will buy for stereo a 3.5 mm or a XLR? I would prefer a 3.5 mm.

BUT: my both 3.5 mm phones make pretty much more self noise as the XLR-Shure.
XLR cables are used because they cancel out external electrical noise. Also, the Shure, being a dynamic microphone, is not relying on some power-inverter circuit inside the H5 (I don't know if phantom power is much cleaner than plug-in power).

I have one question though: if part of the goal is a stereo signal for "ambience" -- why are you not using the standard X/Y elements that are on the H5? Pretty much anything you connect to the side jack is going to be a lower quality signal (just for the connector noise alone).

And you will need the XLR for the shotgun.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

thomas_alemania
new to this board
new to this board

Re: H5: same preamp for micros at xlr and 3.5mm?

Post by thomas_alemania » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:23 am

"so how you are connecting two of these without interference or affecting the plug-in power load is a mystery."

There is a special cable from Edutige so this is no problem. I use this combination because it gives me a lot of output.
Finally stereo is nice but not the central matter. I like to combine ambient with the spotted sound of a certain animal.

"why are you not using the standard X/Y elements that are on the H5? Pretty much anything you connect to the side jack is going to be a lower quality signal (just for the connector noise alone)."

The reason is that I´m often in hides. If the micro is inside the hide it takes my noise very well and the ambient less. Microphones have to be outside the hide and I have to be able inside the hide to pronunce the one or the other ... this is the idea.

My general question is whether the loss of quality comes for the 3,5mm conector or if connected by 3,5mm there is not the same amplifier?

PS: I bought now the Sennheisser K6+ME66 for high sensitivity and low self noise. This allows me to try with P48 at XLR and 3,5 mm.
I also bought a preamp Wendt X3 "to play around a bit" and to learn some matters. Will see the difference in preamps to the H5. The Wendt is known as a especially quiet preamp.

Thanks!
0 x