H6: How do I overdub using only the XY Mic?

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Debberson
new to this board
new to this board

H6: How do I overdub using only the XY Mic?

Post by Debberson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:41 pm

Hello Zoom Friends,

I have a question about my newly purchased H6. I want to record classical guitar duets, trios, etc...I don't have another mic and was hoping there was a way I could overdub only using the XY mic. Is this possible? Any workarounds? I'm a newbie so in depth explanations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: H6: How do I overdub using only the XY Mic?

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Based upon the manual -- the H6 does not support assigning files to alternative tracks. The overdubbing function only creates new "takes" in the track associated with the selected input. So, only one LR track can be active at any given moment -- though there may multiple LR "takes" in the file system.

The H6 appears optimized for 6-input simultaneous recording, with minimal features for step-wise recording using one input.

The H5, OTOH, allows files to be reassigned to other tracks for playback while recording a new track. So one would record the first LR track, then assign it to a different track (since the H5 only has LR, 1, 2 -- if LR was stereo, it would tie up both 1&2 if assigned over; unless one can record the LR in mono, there would be a limit of just two recordings to work with).
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Wulfraed wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:49 pm

The H5, OTOH, allows files to be reassigned to other tracks for playback while recording a new track. So one would record the first LR track, then assign it to a different track (since the H5 only has LR, 1, 2 -- if LR was stereo, it would tie up both 1&2 if assigned over; unless one can record the LR in mono, there would be a limit of just two recordings to work with).
Yep, you have to stereo link 1 and 2 and then you can associate the wav file to those inputs and then overdub again from LR on the H5. You can keep going if you keep 'bouncing' the two stereo files to one. And then you can copy the whole project to the computer and re-do the mixing in software as the bouncing doesn't get rid of the original files. I don't think the H6 can do any of this unfortunately.
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:23 pm

The H4n Pro (the last H4 version produced, may still be in production) is the model that allows for connecting any input to any of the four tracks (or track pairs if set for stereo). That makes it the closest to a traditional multi-track recorder/mixer.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards