H4N Pro: how to record with a backing track?

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
globalist
new to this board
new to this board

H4N Pro: how to record with a backing track?

Post by globalist » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:09 am

Can someone kindly explain to me how can I record vocals against a guitar track that's being played back from my H4N Pro?

The catch here is the guitar track has been recorded elsewhere, so I first need to import it into the Zoom (how?) and then be able to play it back WHILE recording just the vocals onto another track in the Zoom.

Thank you!
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: H4N Pro: how to record with a backing track?

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:08 am

Take into account that I'm working from the manual, not having any variation of H4 device.

First question: are the files 16-bit/44.1kHz WAV and are they stereo or mono? (I'm following the sub-steps for Karaoke operation, on the basis that everything up to actual center-channel cancel applies -- those instructions work with stereo but I suspect actual MTR mode can also take mono files)

You will need to create an MTR project in which to work. (Manual page 118)

Use SD card reader mode to copy the files to the project directory (MTR structure shown on page 37)

Use MOVE to MTR PROJECT function (page 117 -- strange since the files were already placed into the project directory via USB*) to identify the files... Page 37 claims MTR mode can "combine them with tracks recorded in other modes" so perhaps you can dump your files (stereo only maybe) in a directory under the "Stereo" tree, then use MOVE to get them into the MTR project.

Assign the file to track(pair?) (page 58)

From there I would assume you would set the assigned track to PLAY, while arming the other track(s) for record.

Oh... the most tedious, but conceptually simpler, path would be to just play the file on whatever device and use a Line-out/Line-in connection to re-record it on the H4n project -- though that does put one at the mercy of the playback DAC and the H4n input ADC. Actual file copying doesn't affect the quality.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

globalist
new to this board
new to this board

Post by globalist » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:28 am

Thanks a lot!

From what you're describing it sounds quite cumbersome, was hoping for a more straightforward way to do this. I reckon I can try both stereo and mono backing files, see which one works better.

But the main point to take is it should work. Thanks again!
0 x

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:48 am

Hi globalist. I'm an H5 user, I haven't tried importing a backing track but from the way that device works you record something in multifile mode, which will create a new project. Copy your backing track in the project, rebuild the project, reassign the backing track to e.g. the XLR inputs and then you can record on the built in mics while listening to the backing track. Hope this helps for the H4n pro, though that machine has different software and does things in a different way.
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar