Zoom H4N connected to speaker

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Dturazza
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom H4N connected to speaker

Post by Dturazza » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:55 am

Hi all,
I'm new here,I'm "only" a classic guitarist and I have to perform some pieces in a large conference room (roughly 200 seats) and I need amplification for my guitar. With some trials I see the possibility to connect directly the H4N to headphones or little speakers, just clicking one time on rec button. I ask if you ever use H4N as a "simple microphone" connected to "big" speakers (I think I will use 2*250W) and your experience about. My fear is the not so clean "baseline" of the preamplifier, so to have much noise or "speaker whistling" during performing. Another advantage I see is to record directly in H4N during performance: amplifyng and recording with H4N, should be fantastic for me!
Do you think it is better to use a mixer between H4N and speakers? Or does the H4n pre-amp work well directly to speakers?

Thank you very much.
Diego
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Zoom H4N connected to speaker

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:53 am

For preciseness -- which H4n? The most recent edition is the H4n Pro, which is somewhat different.

Unless those are self-powered speakers, you are going to need an amplifier somewhere in the chain. The H4n Line-out is consumer level, and for headphones only provides 20mW per channel. The H4n is NOT an amplifier.

You'd have to adjust the position of the H4n to reduce feedback, which among other things will mean close to the guitar, somewhere between soundhole and 12th-fret as a starting point. The closer the microphones are to the instrument, the lower in the input gain used, and the reduces the feedback risk (also, try to aim the "back end" of the microphones where the speakers are located -- that's the null zone for the pick-up pattern)

Avoiding feedback will be the tricky part. Acoustics with pick-ups (especially if the pick-up incorporates a microphone, besides piezo-electric), and amp/combos meant for acoustic guitar tend to include features like 3-5band equalizer and signal phase inverter switches so that one can notch out the frequency band most subject to feedback.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Dturazza
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Dturazza » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:54 pm

Thanks a lot Wulfraed
it's the Zoom H4n (not pro) and of course I will use (one or two) self powered speakers. Do you think that noise with this configurations will be annoying? Certainly I'm aware about the feedback problems using an external mic, so I will play behind the speakers with the zoom as near as possible to the guitar with the low possible gain
Thanks again
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:55 pm

Hopefully the speaker cabinets are not open-back <G>

Can't speak for any other noise problems -- I'd be happier if line-out were separate from headphone out, or had a switch to toggle between volume controlled headphone and fixed level line-out. You'll have to tweak the volume level to get it proper for line-in on the speakers (too low, and you are relying on the speakers to amplify a signal that may be just above line noise; too high, you risk clipping the inputs of the speakers).
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Dturazza
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Dturazza » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:42 am

Yes I will use closed back cabinet ;)
Thanks a lot Wulfraed for all your very helplful suggestions
Reg.
0 x