H5 Audio Interface Question

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
CharlieB
new to this board
new to this board

H5 Audio Interface Question

Post by CharlieB » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:08 pm

I'm trying to use my H5 as an audio interface to record video's on my iphone6s. My problem is I can't get enough volume using just the two condenser mics on the Zoom. If I go much past 12db it is distorted....so I tried plugging my guitar into the xlr input and then it only records in mono. I have the zoom set for stereo record but I don't see any option in the menu to get a stereo recording when plugged into the xlr input. Can anyone help with this?
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: H5 Audio Interface Question

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:12 pm

By definition -- to get stereo requires using two inputs.

Also note the statement on page 8 of the manual -- passive guitar (common electric guitar -- high impedance) is not supported. Active guitar (one with battery pack and internal pre-amp producing line-level output) is supported.

In multi-file recording mode, you can adjust the panning of the mono file for playback. However, that probably will not apply to audio-interface mode, where you'd have to be running the 4-in/2-out interface, and post-process the recording in some DAW software to adjust panning, and capture the output of the /mix/ out as a stereo file.

Pretty much NO device will produce a stereo file directly from a mono input (any such file basically means using twice the space with no additional data -- as the other channel will be a total duplicate of the first)
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

CharlieB
new to this board
new to this board

Re: H5 Audio Interface Question

Post by CharlieB » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Thank you...that answers that question
0 x