Any tips for noise reduction/stronger signal?

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Brick Nash
new to this board
new to this board

Any tips for noise reduction/stronger signal?

Post by Brick Nash » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:26 am

Hi all,

I'm a studio sound engineer by trade but I'm making the jump to film and I'm doing dialogue recording for a short film this Saturday sing the H4N. I've been doing tests and familiarising myself with the device, but I'm finding that there's (to my ears) an unusually high noise floor.

I'm using the H4N with a Rode NTG-2 and recording in a mono mix in the stereo mode, but if the microphone is more than a foot away then the waveform is tiny, but if I increase the input gain past 65 then there's all sorts of hiss and noise.

I have a suspicion that I'm just so used to pristine audio captured from a microphone from 6 inches away from a mouth that I may be being overly critical, and I realise that on set films will have natural roomtones, but even so I don't want to be getting the mic and boom in shot in order to get a strong recording, so if there are any tips that anyone has for reducing noise and/or capturing a stronger and clearer signal then I'd be most grateful if you would share them with me.

Thanks!
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Any tips for noise reduction/stronger signal?

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:10 pm

Brick Nash wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:26 am
I'm using the H4N with a Rode NTG-2 and recording in a mono mix in the stereo mode, but if the microphone is more than a foot away then the waveform is tiny, but if I increase the input gain past 65 then there's all sorts of hiss and noise.

The NTG-2 is a mono microphone.

Mono-Mix on the H4n generates a pseudo-mono file (a stereo file with identical content on both left and right) by MIXING the left and right inputs to mono (then sending that mix to both channels).

Since you have nothing connected to the other input, you are essentially mixing a microphone channel with a channel of noise.

Instead of using Stereo mode, you'll likely want to go into MTR mode, record a single input as a mono file (and later bounce that to a stereo file with center panning to get a "mono-mix" style result -- without having the noise of an unused channel)
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards