ZoomH4n - Audio Interferance

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
RobCharles1981
new to this board
new to this board

ZoomH4n - Audio Interferance

Post by RobCharles1981 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:06 am

Hi Can anyone help me please?

I have the ZoomH4n and I often use these with external microphones (A Matched Pair Of Rode NT5s) for recording pipe organs in Churches ect. And I also use the PSU Plug to power (Not wise to use batteries in Phantom Mode!) this along with a 20 Meter Extension Cable Reel

Before I began further, can anyone tell me what the difference the "Phantom 48+" And "Phantom 28+" makes?

Now onto the issue.....

When I'm recording my audio tracks little when I don't know I'm getting "Audio Spikes" in one of the channels for some or known reason, I had to send the H4n Back to ZoomUK as I had a problem with one of the channels, where they found one of the mike inputs was faulty so that was replaced.

I've replaced the XLR Cable so I know it's not that.
Which leaves me to think that it's the PSU Power Plug for the Zoom Recorder, I brought 3 of these to be safe when recording as I have the others for spares. Do you think it's the PSU Supply, or has anyone else had the same problem that I have? And what was the fix?

Look forward to your help!
Cheers
Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: ZoomH4n - Audio Interferance

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:27 pm

RobCharles1981 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:06 am
Before I began further, can anyone tell me what the difference the "Phantom 48+" And "Phantom 28+" makes?
48V is the industry norm for phantom power. Some microphones may be rated to function on 24V, which may provide a slight improvement on battery life. (Based on the Rode web-site, the NT5 is one of those rated to function on 24V, though the manual recommends using 48V) {Interesting, the manual also implies they ship with a color-change silica gel pack to keep the condenser element dry; most products just ship with a disposable silica gel envelope}
Which leaves me to think that it's the PSU Power Plug for the Zoom Recorder, I brought 3 of these to be safe when recording as I have the others for spares. Do you think it's the PSU Supply, or has anyone else had the same problem that I have? And what was the fix?
Without seeing the actual environment, it is difficult to guess. I'd hope a long extension cord is not losing enough power to affect a wall-wart power-supply.

However... how are the power supply, the H4n, microphones, and the cables being stabilized... Any vibration could contribute to effects (along with moisture collecting on the condenser elements -- how is the air provided to those pipe organs?)

Try using rubber bands to hold the cables to the stand, so there is no stress at the points of connection (including the power connector, have a small loop of loose cable between connector and rubber band). While XLR is noise-canceling, try not to have power and XLR cables running near each other, and especially not parallel to each other.

As a last item, try using a splatter screen in front of the microphones (and make sure you've dried them out with the silica gel packet, as specified in the manual -- moisture on them causes drop-outs in the phantom power [which is a static charge on the element plates; the pre-amp senses voltage changes when the plates move in/out from sound waves -- any momentary moisture could bridge/short the plates followed by recharge from phantom supply]). Also, have you marked the microphones and cables -- so you can try recording with 1A on left, 2B on right (# microphone, letter cable), then try 1A on right... Then 1B on left, and finally 1B on right. See if the noise moves with cables/microphones or is fixed to the recorder input.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

RobCharles1981
new to this board
new to this board

Post by RobCharles1981 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:51 pm

Wulfraed wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:27 pm
RobCharles1981 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:06 am
48V is the industry norm for phantom power. Some microphones may be rated to function on 24V, which may provide a slight improvement on battery life. (Based on the Rode web-site, the NT5 is one of those rated to function on 24V, though the manual recommends using 48V) {Interesting, the manual also implies they ship with a color-change silica gel pack to keep the condenser element dry; most products just ship with a disposable silica gel envelope}
Without seeing the actual environment, it is difficult to guess. I'd hope a long extension cord is not losing enough power to affect a wall-wart power-supply.

However... how are the power supply, the H4n, microphones, and the cables being stabilized... Any vibration could contribute to effects (along with moisture collecting on the condenser elements -- how is the air provided to those pipe organs?)

Try using rubber bands to hold the cables to the stand, so there is no stress at the points of connection (including the power connector, have a small loop of loose cable between connector and rubber band). While XLR is noise-canceling, try not to have power and XLR cables running near each other, and especially not parallel to each other.

As a last item, try using a splatter screen in front of the microphones (and make sure you've dried them out with the silica gel packet, as specified in the manual -- moisture on them causes drop-outs in the phantom power [which is a static charge on the element plates; the pre-amp senses voltage changes when the plates move in/out from sound waves -- any momentary moisture could bridge/short the plates followed by recharge from phantom supply]). Also, have you marked the microphones and cables -- so you can try recording with 1A on left, 2B on right (# microphone, letter cable), then try 1A on right... Then 1B on left, and finally 1B on right. See if the noise moves with cables/microphones or is fixed to the recorder input.

Hi there,

All environments are the same really to be quiet honest.

The Cables For The Mics and from the H4n are just standard I leave them as they are, the H4n just sits on the seat out of harms way, I would sometimes mount that on a tripod.

For Organs I'm either recording electronics or pipes so it depends what environment its in big/small.
I forgot to add I also use the Rode Stereo Bar at this point too.

Splatter Screen? Can I get anything from rode that may do the right thing?

I tested all cables today the XLR's are fine because they are brand new, there maybe a bit of concern with one of the psu units, but maybe the ones I have are very cheap

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Recorder-power ... om+h4n+psu

Any thoughts????
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:35 pm

For the screen, I'm thinking something like https://www.amazon.com/Samson-PS01-Pop- ... B0002ORPN4 (you should be able to find similar in the UK), though if far enough away from the sound source it may not matter.

Mostly they are used for two things -- help block moisture from someone's breath, and also to block "plosives" (the sharp burst of air from sounding things like P and B)
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards