H5: Monitoring and sending out different signals, mainly for recording telephone conversations

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
blodmurmel52
new to this board
new to this board

H5: Monitoring and sending out different signals, mainly for recording telephone conversations

Post by blodmurmel52 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:57 am

Hi,

I work as a radio journalist, and every now and then I need to record phone calls in as good audio quality as possible. I figured my Zoom H5 is the best tool for this - I hook some kind of rig into my phone, like the Rode SC6, take the signal from the rig headphone jack into my H5's 1-input, record audio through the H5 XY-mic and take the Zoom signal into the phone, through the line out into the rig's mic jack. Then I usually adjust the monitor mix so that the phone audio doesn't loop back into the phone from the H5. This way I get both signals into separate channels and in pretty good audio quality.

There's just one problem with this setup – I can't monitor the sound via the H5, since I've cut down the phone audio from the monitor mix. My temporary solution to this problem has been splitting the signal from the rig's headphone jack but I'm wondering – is it possible to make the H5 output the entire signal through the Line out, and the monitor mixed signal through the headphone jack? This would be sensible, but for some reason I can't find a way to do it. Please help?
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: H5: Monitoring and sending out different signals, mainly for recording telephone conversations

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:02 am

I would suspect not...

The "mix" is performed in the digital stage before any signal goes to the analog conversion for output.

The primary difference between Line Out and Headphone Out is that the former is set for a fixed peak output signal (based upon consumer -10dBm level), while the headphone output has variable (volume control) signal (rated for 20mW into 32ohm). Both analog drivers receive the same digital signal.

On a slightly related matter -- have you fully checked the "wiretap" laws for your jurisdiction? Taping a phone call could be illegal if you haven't ensured specific actions were taken. While a few regions only require one party in the call to be aware of the taping (which would be you), most require that both parties must know of the taping -- which means you must have some sort of announcement to the other party (the infamous "this call may be recorded for quality control") and/or some sort of periodic tone (a beep every 30 seconds or whatever the law states).
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

blodmurmel52
new to this board
new to this board

Re: H5: Monitoring and sending out different signals, mainly for recording telephone conversations

Post by blodmurmel52 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:30 am

Alright, damn, guess I'm thinking too much about monitoring in a musical mixer sense.

I'm actually from Finland - here it's completely legal to record all calls. Using them in broadcast is of course a different matter, and that should only be done with the other party's consent.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:21 pm

The long discontinued (and heavy) HD16 was the last device I recall that had the option of having a separate mix sent to a "sub-out". Normal mode is two headphone outputs each having the MASTER mix with separate volume controles; disabling the master output and using track parameters on the input tracks allowed for putting a different mix on the second jack.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

blodmurmel52
new to this board
new to this board

Post by blodmurmel52 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:16 am

Right! Perhaps something for future handy recorders, or then not. Do you have any other practical tips for recording phone calls?
0 x