Windshields for H5... Is the WSU-1 any good? Is the fur real?

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
blodmurmel52
new to this board
new to this board

Windshields for H5... Is the WSU-1 any good? Is the fur real?

Post by blodmurmel52 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:20 am

Hey,

what's a good windshield for use with the Zoom H5 XY-mic? I've been using the foam one so far, but it's quite big and it keeps getting stuck somewhere and falling off, when I'm out recording in the field.

So far I've found a few good options:

1) The Zoom WSU-1: anyone have any experience with this one? I was also wondering, is the fur real? Not a huge fan of real fur...

2) The Movo WS-G9 seems pretty good as well - anyone have any experience with this one?
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Windshields for H5... Is the WSU-1 any good? Is the fur real?

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:47 am

I suspect any "dead cat" will also be rather large. After all, the purpose is to create a zone of dead air around the microphone -- sound vibrations make it through, but larger movements of actual air (wind) are insulated from the element.

I've not heard of anyone making a "dead cat" out of real fur -- real fur would have a leather/hide backing which might be too unresponsive to sound waves over the more commonly found synthetic fleeces.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

still_fiddlin

Re: Windshields for H5... Is the WSU-1 any good? Is the fur real?

Post by still_fiddlin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:43 am

I've used a RØDE "Dead Kitten" on my old H2 with good success. Keep in mind it's only going to help some, and not withstand sustained, and particularly gusty, winds.

Don't know if it would fit an H5. I did see some folks said it worked with an H4n, and I checked and it does fit over the XY plug-in mic on my H6 (didn't check MS mic), though it's snug, and you can't get to the level control, of course. Still, if I was setting up for an outdoor event, I'd put something on. If nothing else, it will offer some protection if a beer gets tossed at the band...
0 x