H4 Audio I/O recording problem

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
spokesman4
new to this board
new to this board

H4 Audio I/O recording problem

Post by spokesman4 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:31 pm

I'm still using an old Zoom H4, which has provided me fine service for over 10 years. However, I have recently used the Audio I/O interface for the first time and have encountered an odd problem:

When I record through my H4 Audio I/O into my MacPro laptop's digital audio wave program, then play the audio back, my voice is slightly fast, with a higher pitch than my normal voice — like a chipmunk, I'd say! This occurs whether I use the H4's built-in mic or a pro mic wired through a voice processor into the H4. The problem is not the DAW, because I experienced the same problem recording over the internet into a third party recording app.

This off speed playback occurs only when using the H4 I/O interface. I do not have this problem when I record via the digital interface on my audio mixing console into my laptop or downstream on the internet.

I'm up to date with the latest H4 firmware, version 2.40.

Any suggestions?
0 x

emmrecs
dues paid
dues paid

Re: H4 Audio I/O recording problem

Post by emmrecs » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:28 am

First thing to check: whether the sample rate is set on both the H4 and your Mac to the same. Your mention of "chipmunk-like" playback suggests that, e.g. the H4 is set to 44.1kHz but your Mac is set to 48kHz.
0 x
Zoom H2 and H2n. Adobe Audition CS6. Reaper (TM).