h4n Pro Mid-Side Settings

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
AdrianW
new to this board
new to this board

h4n Pro Mid-Side Settings

Post by AdrianW » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:46 pm

I typically do mid-side recordings on my DAW, manually or with a mid-side decoder and would like to do the same with the Zoom h4n Pro. I've had the Zoom for about a week and I've gone through the manual many times but haven't had much luck.

1. I'm using two mics into the XLR inputs, one cardiod, one figure-8.

2. Matrix is on, side and mid levels set, source set to inputs, mode is 4-channel.

3. Channel settings are made, in my case left=mid, right =side.

Recording seems to work and I can monitor in decoded mid-side BUT the two built in mics are still active which throws things off. I'd like to be able to record mid-side with just the input mics and save the result as stereo file. Is this possible? Am I missing a setting? Thanks.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: h4n Pro Mid-Side Settings

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:16 pm

AdrianW wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:46 pm
2. Matrix is on, side and mid levels set, source set to inputs, mode is 4-channel.
Recording seems to work and I can monitor in decoded mid-side BUT the two built in mics are still active which throws things off. I'd like to be able to record mid-side with just the input mics and save the result as stereo file. Is this possible? Am I missing a setting? Thanks.
Off-hand... Do not use 4-channel mode! See manual page 021. 4-channel mode create one stereo file from the built-ins, and a second stereo file for input 1&2.

Use regular Stereo mode, select Input 1&2 (ie; do not activate the built-ins).

Note that using the H4n matrixing function, you will be recording a stereo file with the matrixed (mid/side level ratio) -- you will not be able to adjust mid/side level later in a DAW. If you leave matrix OFF, you will record pure mid and side channels which can be manipulated later to adjust the apparent image width -- but monitoring will be terrible as one ear will only get the mid, and the other will hear the side signal.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

AdrianW
new to this board
new to this board

Post by AdrianW » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:58 pm

Thanks. That's what I needed to know. I was confused by the M/S instructions in the manual under the SOURCE section where it said "Set the input used (only in 4CH mode)." which seemed wrong to me. All good now. When using the M/S Matrix and recording in stereo I assume it's important to have the mid and side mics routed to the correct left/right channel. I suppose they can be flipped but it seems it might make sense to always use mid to INPUT 1 and side INPUT 2.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:12 am

AdrianW wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:58 pm
Thanks. That's what I needed to know. I was confused by the M/S instructions in the manual under the SOURCE section where it said "Set the input used (only in 4CH mode)." which seemed wrong to me. All good now. When using the M/S Matrix and recording in stereo I assume it's important to have the mid and side mics routed to the correct left/right channel. I suppose they can be flipped but it seems it might make sense to always use mid to INPUT 1 and side INPUT 2.
Manual, page 74, last screen shot -- specifying which channel has mid vs side... And yeah -- that 4-ch mode comment seems rather useless -- since you can't really use the built-ins for mid/side, why not just default to input 1&2 if matrixing is enabled.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards