Silence is not golden. wav file w no sound from ZH4n.

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Silence is not golden. wav file w no sound from ZH4n.

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:13 pm

still_fiddlin wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:54 pm
If you did a test recording on the same SD card, i.e., stopped, and played and restarted, unless you reformatted, the second recording should have shown up as *001.wav. The fact you only have a *000.wav file suggests that it wasn't stopped and restarted. (The Zoom manual actually says numbering starts with 0001!)
Which manual are you looking at? H4n, page 52, only shows 3-digit sequence numbers (2-digit for multitrack mode).
And, if there were two mics, why was it set to MONO mode? It makes no sense. (Actually, one possibility it suggests is that MONO mode was selected and the left, external mic level turned down to zero, or perhaps the mic turned off, because that's the only input recorded in that mode, per the manual.)
Same page shows that MONO prefix is used if "Mono Mix" is turned on. That is a silly mode that uses two inputs, blends them, and then sends the (mono) blend to both left and right channels of a stereo file. Basically -- records a stereo file with no stereo separation.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

still_fiddlin

Post by still_fiddlin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:01 pm

I might have gotten carried away with the 0s!

So MONO means either or both mics are mixed and sent to both L & R in the file. I stopped reading too soon. The presence of the file with nothing in it tells me the levels were zeroed or the mics turned off. Perhaps they weren't record enabled (not an H4n user)?

I mean, the obvious answer is that the main record button was turned on so the file created, but there was no input where the MONO mode expected/required it, so it recorded nothing.
0 x

sciurius
been here a while
been here a while

Post by sciurius » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:43 am

You verified that there are no other files/folders on the SDcard?
0 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)