Shotgun capsules

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Pyrosonic
new to this board
new to this board

Shotgun capsules

Post by Pyrosonic » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:14 pm

I'm wanting to buy a shotgun capsule for my H-6.
SGH-6 vs. SSH-6...thoughts?
Specifically, I'm wondering if the stereo SSH-6 gives similar results (tightness of pattern, etc...) to the mono SGH-6 if you use only the center section signal. I'm kind of interested in the M/S capabilities of the stereo one, but not if it doesn't perform as well as the mono. (trying to avoid buying both)
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Shotgun capsules

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:38 am

Expect some differences... The SGH is described (on B&H Photo) as "Super-Cardioid" where the SSH is "Hyper-Cardioid". The SGH supposedly has three capsules positioned to balance out frequency response (the interference tube shotgun design has a response that varies with frequency and off-axis angle), while the SSH has a single "mid" capsule, with one or two "side" capsule(s) [one if true figure-8, two if back-to-back cardioids].

Unfortunately, I've not seen Zoom publish polar patterns since the original H2.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards