How to record with a lav on an H6

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Involute
new to this board
new to this board

How to record with a lav on an H6

Post by Involute » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:01 pm

I've been happily using my H6 for a few months now, exclusively with a couple of pairs of Sennheiser EK100 wireless mics. The other day I wanted to use it with a wired lav and couldn't figure out how. I have one mono and one stereo (at least I think it's stereo, though it has four rings on the plug instead of three), both 3.5mm and unknown brands. I've tried plugging them into the 3.5mm jack on the XY capsule, one of the 1/4" TRS jacks using a 1/4" - 3.5mm adapter, and one of the XLR jacks using an XLR - 3.5mm plug and a female-female 3.5mm - 3.5mm adapter. Can't hear a thing with any of these approaches. What am I doing wrong?
0 x

still_fiddlin

Re: How to record with a lav on an H6

Post by still_fiddlin » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:48 am

Unless the wired mic has a battery, it's probably expecting plug-in power, so the only option the H6 has for that is that jack on the XY mic capsule. It is a stereo jack, and so would expect a stereo mic, probably with a standard TRS plug, so you might want to make sure that TRRS one is connecting the right lines to the mics. Or, if it has a battery, make sure it's a good one.
1 x

Involute
new to this board
new to this board

Re: How to record with a lav on an H6

Post by Involute » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:48 am

Thanks. I’ll try to track down something compatible.
0 x