H5 - Noise using XLR & 1/4 inputs.

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Melayan
new to this board
new to this board

H5 - Noise using XLR & 1/4 inputs.

Post by Melayan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:10 pm

Greetings great fellow Zoomers.

I bought a used H5 and I love it alot however couple of days ago I tried recording my OP-1 into Input 1 (1/4") and the Noise cancelled out the actuall sound.

I tried the 2 input and Noise was still there but not as bad as Input 1.

I wonder: do you think this might be a settings problem or a hardware problem?

If I need to change both ports, do you know what it might woulf end costing me?

I live in Sweden so if you know any good place to do it, let me know.

// Melayan
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: H5 - Noise using XLR & 1/4 inputs.

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:43 pm

What MODE were you in.

If Stereo File mode, using XLR/TRS always records both input 1 and input 2, with only one input connected to an input, the other input will be recording whatever white noise the circuits produce. (What IS an OP-1??? Guessing this: https://teenageengineering.com/guides/o ... erview#1.3 ).

If my guess is correct, and you are using the headphone out as a "line-out", that output is likely STEREO... But each XLR/TRS input of the H5 is MONO BALANCED. That means the recorder is actually subtracting the "left" from the "right" so anything that is centered in the stereo field is canceled out, leaving only the stuff on the sides.

Again, if this is the device, you will need to use a STEREO TRS to dual MONO TS cable, and connect the TS ends to both input 1 and input 2.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Melayan
new to this board
new to this board

Re: H5 - Noise using XLR & 1/4 inputs.

Post by Melayan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:05 pm

Yes I was in stereo mode. - Omg that was quick and really really descriptive.
I will try buying the cable as you said, thank you alot.

Will write again if noise continue.

I am planning to hook up my Op-1 to the line in Jack via the xy mic and using my Digitakt stereo in through the xlr stereo and record it the same time.

Just gonna read some manuals so I can record it to different tracks for later adjustments.

Thank you again!
0 x