channel 2 ( in multi mode) not picking up audio from powered mike

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
bostonpaper
new to this board
new to this board

channel 2 ( in multi mode) not picking up audio from powered mike

Post by bostonpaper » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:34 am

In multi mode, I am recording from the AT8031 mike (for my voice) and from Skype (from computer sound card for the interviewee), connected to inputs 1 and 2. The AT only works when connected to input 1. Swapping back and forth proves that. Is there something that I am missing?
0 x

sciurius
been here a while
been here a while

Re: channel 2 ( in multi mode) not picking up audio from powered mike

Post by sciurius » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:56 pm

Did you switch Hi-Z on for Channel 1?
1 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

bostonpaper
new to this board
new to this board

Post by bostonpaper » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:05 pm

I don't know whether it is switched on or off....is that a Zoom H5 setting or on the AT mike? Pardon my ignorance...
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:58 pm

I suspect that was supposed to be phantom power, not high impedance (the latter is a setting for passive electric guitars).
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

bostonpaper
new to this board
new to this board

Post by bostonpaper » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:18 am

Should phantom power be on in the H5 for either connection, wherever I plug in the AT mike? Or off? And the slide switch on the mike, the small one hidden deep near the head of the mike, up or down? I can't find any AT documentation for what that switch does.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:00 am

bostonpaper wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:18 am
Should phantom power be on in the H5 for either connection, wherever I plug in the AT mike? Or off?

According to the spec sheet https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/reso ... _lores.pdf the microphone can be powered by either phantom power or an internal AA cell, and also states that you do not need a AA in the body to use phantom power (implication is that phantom and AA are in parallel -- vs a design where the phantom power goes "through" the battery).

Confusing part is that it recommends "... the switch should remain off except when the microphone is in use." Does the unit have two switches -- or just the one you ask about (below)?

It is low-impedance (as I expected).

And the slide switch on the mike, the small one hidden deep near the head of the mike, up or down? I can't find any AT documentation for what that switch does.
Really?
Page 2 under Specifications table is an entry for "Switch" (it controls the low-frequency roll-off vs flat response).

What type of cable are you using for the "Skype" connection? The only thing I have left is that you have a broken XLR connection on the input that isn't working -- but to test that will require an independent XLR microphone and cable.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

bostonpaper
new to this board
new to this board

Post by bostonpaper » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:59 am

After much swap-and-test effort, I determined the obvious. The phantom power was not enabled on both channels 1 and 2. Now is. Thank you and sorry for my own confusion. By analogy, I know Lightroom and Photoshop cold but Audition not so. Sound and sound engineering are a work in progress for me...but a relatively quick study! Thank you.
1 x