Why H4n PRO is turning off or freezing when attached into DC power?

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
still_fiddlin

Re: Why H4n PRO is turning off or freezing when attached into DC power?

Post by still_fiddlin » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:47 am

Thanks for following up and letting us know what happened. That seems to be a rarity on forums anymore, and glad that worked out for you!

I'm still surprised the power cell didn't work, since it was demonstrated in the video, and I've used one with my H6, although through the USB port, which is probably more tolerant of 5v sources than one designed for a Zoom power supply.

I have heard stories that with the Zoom F8 that I have now using anything other than the Zoom power supply with that DC input is risky (to the point of permanent damage to the F8), while the separate "external power" DC in, which has a Hirose connector (cable cost me $30!), is tolerant of a wide range of voltages because it has the circuitry to handle it.

My little Line 6 M5 is also picky and will not work reliably with anything other than the L6 power supply, and it's not a mA thing, because I can Y-out from the L6 supply and run multiple pedals w/o problem, where another brand with even more mA will leave the L6 blinking at me.
1 x

bmcoutinho
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Why H4n PRO is turning off or freezing when attached into DC power?

Post by bmcoutinho » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:53 am

still_fiddlin wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:47 am
Thanks for following up and letting us know what happened. That seems to be a rarity on forums anymore, and glad that worked out for you!

I'm still surprised the power cell didn't work, since it was demonstrated in the video, and I've used one with my H6, although through the USB port, which is probably more tolerant of 5v sources than one designed for a Zoom power supply.

I have heard stories that with the Zoom F8 that I have now using anything other than the Zoom power supply with that DC input is risky (to the point of permanent damage to the F8), while the separate "external power" DC in, which has a Hirose connector (cable cost me $30!), is tolerant of a wide range of voltages because it has the circuitry to handle it.

My little Line 6 M5 is also picky and will not work reliably with anything other than the L6 power supply, and it's not a mA thing, because I can Y-out from the L6 supply and run multiple pedals w/o problem, where another brand with even more mA will leave the L6 blinking at me.
Thanks! As I said, the salesman said that cable is normally used to power on some kind of monitors. Then, probably something, even the plug, is different internally. The weirdest is that, for two months, it was normally working, then suddenly stopped :? Anyway, looking to my case and yours, we can see how manufacturers obliges us to buy their accessories, no matter how simple they are, and charges us a lot for them. You can buy a good charger (or any other thing) with the same specifications, sometimes with more quality than the original brand, and for some misterious reason, it won't works :nuts:
0 x